NETHERLANDS-DRCONGO-WARCRIMES-JUSTICE-TRIAL-ICC
Former Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda arrives for his trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, The Netherlands, July 8, 2019.

Getty


The Hague, Netherlands — The International Criminal Court on Monday convicted a notorious rebel commander known as “The Terminator” of 18 counts of crimes against humanity and war crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery for his role in atrocities in a bloody ethnic conflict in a mineral-rich region of Congo in 2002-2003.

Bosco Ntaganda, who maintained his innocence during his trial, faces a maximum life sentence following his convictions at the global court. He showed no emotion as Presiding Judge Robert Fremr passed judgment.

A separate hearing will be scheduled to determine his sentence. Ntaganda has 30 days to appeal.

Ntaganda was first indicted in 2006 and became a symbol of impunity in Africa, even serving as a general in Congo’s army before turning himself in in 2013 as his power base crumbled.

Fremr said that Ntaganda was guilty as a direct perpetrator or a co-perpetrator of a string of crimes including murders, rapes of men and women, a massacre in a banana field behind a building called The Paradiso and of enlisting and using child soldiers.

“The bodies of those killed – men women and children and babies – were found in the banana field over the next days,” Fremr said. “Some bodies were found naked, some had their hands tied up and some had their heads crushed. Several bodies were disemboweled or otherwise mutilated.”

During his trial, Ntaganda testified for weeks in his own defense, saying he wanted to put the record straight about his reputation as a ruthless military leader.

Thomas Lubanga
Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga awaits his sentence in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands, July 10, 2012.

AP


He was the deputy chief of staff and commander of operations for rebel group the Patriotic Forces for the Liberation of Congo. The force’s leader, Thomas Lubanga, was convicted by the ICC in 2012 of using child soldiers. He is serving a 14-year prison sentence.

Maria Elena Vignoli, international justice counsel with Human Rights Watch, welcomed Ntaganda’s conviction.

“The long-awaited judgment provides an important measure of justice for Bosco Ntaganda’s victims and puts others responsible for grave crimes on notice,” she said. “But renewed violence in eastern Congo highlights the need to address the impunity for other abusive leaders.”

Monday’s convictions were a victory for ICC prosecutors after high profile defeats recently. In January, judges acquitted former Ivory Coast president Laurent Gbagbo and a former government minister of involvement in crimes following disputed 2010 elections. Last year, a former Congolese vice president, Jean-Pierre Bemba, was acquitted on appeal of crimes allegedly committed by his militia in neighboring Central African Republic.

Set up in 2002, the court has convicted only four people of war crimes and five more for interfering with witnesses.

Fremr said 102 witnesses testified at Ntaganda’s trial, including a woman who survived having her throat slit by Ntaganda’s forces. Fremr said Ntaganda himself shot and killed an elderly man serving as a Catholic priest.

Vignoli said thousands more victims in Congo still await justice.

“The ICC and Congolese authorities should work together to bring to trial many more of those responsible for grave crimes, including senior officials,” she added.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Five substitutions proposed to help teams after coronavirus lay-off

Teams will be able to make up to five substitutions under a Fifa proposal to help players cope with fixture congestion amid the coronavirus pandemic, the world governing body has said. The substitutions will be allowed in a maximum of…

Kirk Douglas, Hollywood legend and star of Spartacus, dies aged 103

Kirk Douglas, the self-styled “ragman’s son” who became the last great star of Hollywood’s golden age, has died at the age of 103. His son Michael announced the news in a statement to People Magazine on Wednesday evening. “To the…

Newport city council votes to keep beach open despite massive crowds

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. The Newport Beach City Council in Orange County, Calif., Tuesday reportedly voted to keep the beach open despite Gov. Gavin Newsom’s condemnation of the weekend crowds despite coronavirus warnings. The…

How the oligarch owner of the U.K.’s Chelsea soccer club is fighting anti-Semitism

LONDON — After a year in which anti-Semitism made headlines in the United Kingdom, Chelsea, one of England’s leading soccer clubs, is stepping up its fight against the hatred.The London-based Premier League club owned by the Russian Israeli billionaire Roman…