Rwandan health minister Diane Gashumba on Thursday dismissed reports saying Rwanda has closed its border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) over fears of Ebola outbreak.

This photo issued on August 1, 2019 shows a health officer checking a baby's temperature at a health checkpoint in Goma, RD Congo on July 5, 2019. [File photo: EPA via IC/Patricia Martinez]

This photo issued on August 1, 2019 shows a health officer checking a baby’s temperature at a health checkpoint in Goma, RD Congo on July 5, 2019. [File photo: EPA via IC/Patricia Martinez]

“Rwanda has not closed its border with the DRC. What you are reading in media is not true, but people simply misunderstood the situation at the border this morning,” Gashumba told Xinhua in a telephone interview.

People were delayed at the border in the morning as they were sensitized on signs and dangers of Ebola virus and measures to prevent themselves from being infected, she said.

Olivier Nduhungirehe, minister of state in charge of the East African Community in the foreign ministry of Rwanda, on a twitter post also refuted reports saying Rwanda closes its border with the DRC over fears of Ebola spreading.

“The border was not closed. This was a misunderstanding,” said the official, who had been quoted as the source in some media reports who confirmed the closure.

The presidency’s office of DRC said in a statement earlier on Thursday that Rwanda has closed its border with the DRC after a man died of Ebola in the eastern DRC city of Goma, which borders Rwanda to the east.

The man, in his 40s, has tested positive for the deadly virus and died on Wednesday in the populated city of Goma. He was the second confirmed Ebola case in the city.

The DRC health authorities announced late Wednesday night the confirmation of a third case in the city of Goma.

Rwandan health ministry on July 15 warned Rwandans against unnecessary travel to Goma, which shares the border with western Rwanda’s Rubavu district with daily border crossings between the two countries estimated at about 100,000 people.

The World Health Organization last week commended Rwanda on its ongoing Ebola preparedness efforts and confirmed that no cases of Ebola have been reported from the central African country.

This week marked one year since the start of the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the DRC that has already killed more than 1,700 people, making it the second worst Ebola outbreak in history.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Ukraine to press for plane crash black boxes as Iran minister visits

KIEV (Reuters) – Ukraine will press Iran to hand over the black boxes from the crash of a Ukrainian passenger plane at a meeting with a visiting Iranian delegation on Monday, Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko told reporters. Ukraine would convey…

Lawyers say they will seek asylum in France for Julian Assange

PARIS — Julian Assange’s European defense team said Thursday it will try to seek asylum in France for the Wikileaks founder, whose full hearings for extradition to the United States on spying charges start next week in London. French team…

Trump forced to pay $2m over misuse of charity money

Donald Trump has paid $2m to eight charities as part of a court-ordered judgment against the president, who was accused of self-dealing and using charitable donations for his campaign. In a settlement reached on 7 November, Mr Trump admitted to…

Oman’s new Sultan faces diplomatic, economic challenges

Muscat, Oman – Oman’s late ruler Sultan Qaboos al-Said was lauded for the mediating role he played between conflicting parties in the Gulf region, during his near-50 year rule which also saw the emergence of an educated, middle class.  Qaboos,…