The death toll from the capsize of three Philippine ferries in bad weather rose to 31 on Sunday as rescuers found more bodies, a coast guard official said.

The motorised, wooden-hulled boats were carrying a total 96 passengers and crew when harsh weather conditions caused the vessels to overturn off the central island of Guimaras and Iloilo provinces on Saturday.

The search continues for three more people still missing, Philippine Coast Guard spokesman Commander Armand Balilo said. The rest of the crew and passengers were rescued.

Disaster officials reported 11 deaths on Saturday.

Balilo said a third ferry was not carrying passengers and all of its five crew members survived.

The number of casualties from the coast guard is higher than the death toll being reported by the Iloilo disaster agency which was at 25 as of 0900 GMT.

Scores of people die each year from ferry accidents in the Philippines, an archipelago of 7,100 islands with a poor record for maritime safety.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

About-face? US border agency scraps plans for mandatory facial recognition scans for American travelers

“There are no current plans to require US citizens to provide photographs upon entry and exit from the United States,” a CBP spokesperson said in a statement on Thursday. CBP intends to have the planned regulatory action regarding US citizens…

Want to feel benefits of a break? Don’t give up the day job …

Back from a short break, which has given me ample time to think about the importance of work. A break, however reinvigorating, is only a break if it is a break from something. A job isn’t just a livelihood. It’s…

GOD TV is dead? Israel kicks US-based evangelical Christian channel off air

The seven-year broadcasting contract secured by GOD TV and Israel’s main cable provider earlier this year proved to be very short-lived. The broadcaster’s Israeli subsidiary, Shelanu TV, was taken off air after a review by the Cable and Satellite Broadcasting…

Johnson’s top aide accused of breaking lockdown rules

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson resisted calls on Saturday from opposition parties to sack adviser Dominic Cummings after he travelled 400km (250 miles) from London to northern England while his wife showed COVID-19 symptoms. The Guardian and Mirror newspapers reported…