The Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG) on Tuesday indicted three former German football officials in relation to fraud surrounding the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Horst Rudolf Schmidt, Theo Zwanziger and Wolfgang Niersbach as well as the former Swiss FIFA official Urs Linsi are “alleged to have fraudulently misled the members of a supervisory body of the German Football Association (DFB) organizing committee for the 2006 World Cup about the true nature of a €6.7 million ($7.5 million) payment,” according to a statement released by the OAG.

The four men deny any wrongdoing.

The DFB said in 2016 that the payment was the return of personal loan — via football’s world governing bidy FIFA — taken out by German football legend Franz Beckenbauer from Adidas CEO Robert Louis-Dreyfus. 

However, the same sum was allegedly transferred by Beckenbauer and Louis-Dreyfus to Qatar’s Mohamed bin Hammam — a former candidate for the FIFA presidency who was issued a lifelong ban for corruption in 2012, after evidence emerged of him trying to buy votes for the presidency.

“The exact purpose of the payments to Mohamed Bin Hammam could not be determined — also because a corresponding request for mutual legal assistance to the Qatari authorities in September 2016 remained unanswered until today,” the OAG added.

The money had been declared as partial financing for a World Cup gala that never took place. Investigations into the payment eventually forced Niersbach to resign as DFB president. It was alleged the money was used as a slush fund to buy votes to secure Germany’s bid to host the tournament.

Beckenbauer, who led Germany’s bid to host the 2006 World Cup, also stands accused of fraud and will be investigated separately due to health concerns.

cw/rt (dpa, Reuters)

Every evening at 1830 UTC, DW’s editors send out a selection of the day’s hard news and quality feature journalism. You can sign up to receive it directly here.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

The Latest: North Korea extends virus quarantine to 30 days

BEIJING — The Latest on a new virus that originated in China (all times local): 11:45 a.m. North Korea has announced it will impose a monthlong quarantine for all foreign visitors and others suspected to have a new virus. The…

Ecuador ex-president Correa jailed in absentia

A top court in Ecuador has sentenced the country’s former left-wing president Rafael Correa to eight years in jail in absentia for corruption. Correa was in power for 10 years until 2017, when he went into exile in Belgium. He…

New Google privacy policy frustrates advertisers

Google has announced a timeline for implementing new privacy standards that will limit third-party use of a digital tool known as cookies. Cookies track users’ internet activity and allow digital publishers to target advertising. Tech firms have faced pressure to…

Inside Taiwan during COVID-19: How they keep schools and businesses open

It’s almost life as usual for the Lin family of Taiwan during the coronavirus pandemic — with a few noticeable exceptions. “We didn’t worry too much,” said Leeli Chang, who lives with her husband, Terry Lin, and her daughter, Peggy,…