Mohammed Alshamrami has been named as the gunman who opened fire on his classmates at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday, killing three people and wounding eight. Alshamrani was a second lieutenant in the Royal Saudi Air Force and had been studying at the naval base along with a cohort of his fellow Saudi students.

The FBI is working “with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism,” Special Agent Rachel Rojas told reporters on Sunday – but she added that the agency is not ready to comment on his motives, on rumors that his friend video recorded the attack, on allegations he showed friends videos of mass shootings at a dinner party, or on an alleged screed of anti-American, anti-Israel posts he made to social media immediately before the attack.

But this wasn’t the end of it. Over the weekend, Twitter began suspending users for linking to the shooter’s alleged manifesto, including such right-wing influencers as pundit Mike Cernovich and journalists Andy Ngo and Pete Hegseth.

All three have since had their accounts reinstated, but the offending tweets – which Twitter claim violate its ban on promoting “terrorism or violent extremism” – have been wiped from the platform. Likewise, an account believed to belong to Alshamrani was removed immediately after the attack, with Twitter confirming the removal but telling CNN “that’s all we have to share.”

According to monitoring organization SITE Intelligence Group, Alshamrani declared: “I hate you [Americans] because every day you [support] funding and committing crimes not only against Muslims but also humanity.”  

Alshamrani’s Twitter account was created in 2012. With the account deleted and any mention of SITE’s reporting on his motives banned from discussion, what do journalists have to go on?

Nothing for now. In her press conference on Sunday, Special Agent Rojas refused to take questions from the media on any of the rumors surrounding Alshamrani’s history or possible terrorist motivation. Citing a need to “control misinformation,” Rojas made it clear that the FBI will only reveal information that it has thoroughly vetted first, and asked the media to keep quiet until then.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Uruguay evacuates 112 Australians, New Zealanders from ship

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay — Uruguay evacuated 112 Australians and New Zealanders Friday from a cruise ship that has been anchored off the South American country’s coast since March 27 with more than half its passengers and crew infected with the new…

North Korea ‘remains open to talks’ with US: South Korea’s Moon

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Tuesday it was too early to be pessimistic about stalled denuclearisation talks between the United States and North Korea, saying that Pyongyang had not yet shut the door on negotiations. Moon said US…

Subdued Africa Day celebrations due to COVID 19

On May 25, the African Union commemorated its establishment in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic which is ravaging the world. As AU, formally the Organization of African Unity, turns 59, the continent is reflecting on its achievement in various…

Archbishop attacks Trump as unrest continues

Washington’s Catholic Archbishop strongly criticised President Donald Trump’s visit to a shrine as civil unrest continues in the US over the death of a black man in police custody. The visit “misused” and “manipulated” the Saint John Paul II National…