LONDON — Prince Harry and his American wife Meghan will no longer use their royal titles, and will repay millions spent on renovating their mansion, a palace statement said Saturday, as the couple step back from their royal duties and begin to split their time between Britain and Canada.

The couple will repay $3 million in British taxpayer funds that was used to refurbish their home on the Windsor Castle estate grounds, known as “Frogmore Cottage.”

They will also give up their salaries they received to perform as senior working royals.

The loss of top titles — the “HRH” that makes one a “royal highness” was expected. They will continue to be known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

In a statement, the queen said, “I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.”

Elizabeth II continued: “I recognize the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.”

The queen reached out Meghan, thanking the couple for “all their dedicated work,” and adding, “I am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.”

In a second statement, Buckingham Palace announced: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.”

This new arrangement means “they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties.”

The changes will go into effect in spring this year, the palace said.

The palace said, “With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.”

Today’s coverage from Post correspondents around the world

Like Washington Post World on Facebook and stay updated on foreign news

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Nicki Minaj pulls out of Saudi Arabia concert to support human rights

Nicki Minaj is pulling out of a concert in Saudi Arabia because she said she wants to show support for women’s rights, gay rights and freedom of expression. “After careful reflection I have decided to no longer move forward with…

Steve Hilton: To save all lives in the coronavirus crisis, we must slow the spread, but speed the shutdown

The American people want to know their leaders are working on a more sustainable anti-virus policy. Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here. You know how I feel. Two weeks…

Boris Johnson out of intensive care

The United Kingdom‘s Prime Minister Boris Johnson left intensive care on Thursday evening as he continues to recover from coronavirus, but he remains under close observation in hospital, his office said on Thursday. Johnson, 55, was admitted to St Thomas’…

What is Nexta — the Telegram channel reporting on Belarus’ protests?

Nexta, a Belarus-based online media, has become a key source of information for many as reports said internet service had been “significantly disrupted” in the country since Sunday’s elections. The online organisation, which is not state-run, has an encrypted Telegram…