A British woman has been given a four month suspended sentence after being found guilty of lying about being gang raped by 12 Israelis at a resort in Cyprus.

The woman, then aged 19, reported the men for attacking her at a resort in Ayia Napa in 2019 but later retracted the claim.

After the men, aged between 15 and 20, were released, she was charged with “public mischief” and found guilty of that charge last week.

Judge Michalis Papathanasiou said that he decided to give the woman a “second chance” because she admitted that she made a mistake in making the false rape claim.

He also cited other reasons including her young age, immaturity, personal circumstances, psychological condition and the fact that she had already spent almost month in detention during the six months her trial lasted.

He said that the sentence could be activated if she commits another serious offense within three years.

‘A nightmare’

Speaking last week. Nicoletta Charalambidou. the woman’s lawyer, claims her client was denied access to a lawyer when investigators questioned her about the case in July 2019.

“The message is that the way [this case] has been tried, it says to women that they should think twice before reporting rape and violence because they never know how it will turn out,” Charalambidou said.

The lawyer added that the ordeal had been a nightmare for the young woman’s family, with her mother quitting work in order to remain in Cyprus with her for the duration of the case. Her client spent a month in jail before being released on bail earlier this year.

“This is a nightmare for her. It has destroyed her whole way of life, personally and as a family. The priority now is to get our client home, so she can get on with her life,” she said.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Expect unemployment rates to hit ‘Great Depression’ level, warns Trump’s economic advisor

“We’re going to be looking at an unemployment rate that approaches rates that I think we saw during the Great Depression,” Hassett told ABC’ ‘The Week’ on Sunday.  Hassett called the economic state in the US a “grave situation” and…

Keeping borders shut for long ‘almost impossible’, WHO says, as countries fear Covid-19 spike

The basic protective measures remain wearing masks and keeping social distancing, WHO’s Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pointed out. He praised Canada, China, Germany and South Korea for their significant achievements in countering the epidemic due to strict adherence to…

WHO orders staff to cease work in Yemen’s Houthi-held areas

The World Health Organization (WHO) has ordered its staff out of Houthi rebel-held areas in war-torn Yemen, a move sources said aimed to pressure the group to be more transparent about suspected coronavirus cases. A WHO directive issued late on…

WHO declares international public health emergency over coronavirus outbreak in China

GENEVA, January 30. /TASS/. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an international public health emergency over the outbreak of a new type of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Thursday in Geneva after…