ANKARA — Negotiations between Libya’s warring leaders in Moscow are going positively, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday.

“We are trying to make the cease-fire in Libya permanent,” Erdogan said at a press conference in Ankara with visiting Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

Erdogan noted that he will attend a meeting in Berlin on Jan 19 to discuss Libya’s peace process, along with Conte and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“We have supported the Berlin process in a constructive way and continue to support it,” he stated.

Appreciating Italy’s efforts on the Libyan issue, Erdogan said the Syrian crisis was another topic of their talks.

“I stressed that we expect Italy’s support for our efforts to maintain the de-escalation status of Idlib,” the president said.

For his part, Conte said the cease-fire will be a temporary solution and the international community should find a permanent settlement for the Libyan issue.

The Berlin process is an important opportunity, he added.

Italy would not accept any attempt that will intervene in the sovereignty of Libya, the Italian leader said.

Moscow hosts talks for reaching a cease-fire agreement between Khalifa Haftar, commander of the east-based Libyan National Army which has been trying to conquer the capital Tripoli, and Fayez al-Serraj who heads the rival Tripoli-based UN-recognized government.

Turkey and Russia brokered the negotiations which came after a cease-fire on Jan. 12 initiated by Ankara and Moscow after 11 months of heavy clashes in Libya.

Turkey backs Serraj while Russian military contractors have been deployed alongside Haftar’s forces.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘You are NOT invincible’: WHO chiefs give desperate warning to world’s youth over coronavirus

“Data from many countries clearly show that people under 50 make up a significant proportion of patients requiring hospitalization,” the agency’s director-general said at a press briefing on Friday. He then urged young people directly to take the threat of Covid-19 seriously: “This…

UN: Nearly 80 million people forcibly displaced worldwide

Nearly 80 million people were forcibly displaced worldwide by the end of last year as a result of conflict, violence, persecution and human rights violations, according to the United Nations. Ahead of World Refugee Day on June 20, the UN…

Ukraine minister sees no preparations for new Russia talks, has low expectations

Original source: Reuters ROME (Reuters) – Ukraine’s foreign minister said on Monday he saw no preparations taking place for a promised summit over the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine, adding that he had little hope it would make any progress…

South Korea calls Pyongyang missile launches ‘very inappropriate’

The South Korean military has described Pyongyang’s decision to fire two ballistic missiles into the sea on Sunday as “very inappropriate”, as the world struggles to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.  South Korea and Japan said North Korea fired the projectiles…