German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas on Wednesday said Libya’s General Khalifa Hifter has agreed in principle to a cease-fire in the country.

Maas flew to Benghazi at short notice on Thursday for crisis talks with Hifter, who is the commander of eastern Libyan forces, ahead of Sunday’s Libya conference to be held in Berlin.

“General Hifter has signaled his readiness to contribute to the success of the Libya Conference in Berlin and is willing to participate,” Germany’s Foreign Office said in a tweet. “He has repeated his commitment to observe the existing cease-fire,” the tweet added.

Earlier in the week, Hifter refused to sign a cease-fire agreement in Moscow with his rival, Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj, resulting in disappointment. Following the meeting with Maas, Hifter is now expected to join the Libya summit.

During his trip, Maas will also speak on behalf of EU foreign ministers to Sarraj, who leads the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA).

Read more: Germany, Russia see goals align amid tension in Middle East

“With the Berlin process, we have the best chance for a long time to start peace talks for Libya,” said Maas ahead of his trip. “Our message is clear: No one can win this conflict militarily. On the contrary, a window now opens to free the conflict from international influence.”

Front lines in Libya

Front lines in Libya

What is the Libya conflict?

Since the overthrow of long-standing ruler Moammar Gadhafi in 2011, Libya has been in a state of flux.

The internationally recognized GNA holds Tripoli, but since April, it has been under sustained attack by Hifter’s Libyan National Army (LNA), which is supported by a rival administration based in the eastern city of Tobruk.

A cease-fire arrangement brokered by Russia and Turkey broke down on Tuesday with no obvious resolution to the impasse in sight.

Germany is hoping Sunday’s Libya conference will pave the way for a political process and intra-Libyan negotiations on a post-war order under the aegis of UN Special Representative Ghassan Salame.

“I hope that the parties take this opportunity to take Libya’s future back into Libyan hands,” Maas said ahead of his trip.

This would require a readiness for a real cease-fire and the participation of both parties to the conflict in the dialogue formats proposed by the UN.

ed,jsi/stb (AFP, dpa, Reuters)

Each evening at 1830 UTC, DW’s editors send out a selection of the day’s hard news and quality feature journalism. You can sign up to receive it directly here.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Shootouts in northern Mexican town kill 21, fueling debate on cartels

Clashes between police and suspected cartel gunmen in a northern Mexican town killed 21 people this weekend, authorities said, adding fuel to a debate sparked by U.S. President Donald Trump, who has vowed to designate the gangs as terrorists. The…

Trump endorses QAnon supporter after Republican primary win

Donald Trump has endorsed QAnon conspiracy theorist Marjorie Taylor Greene after she won her Georgia congressional primary, calling her a “future Republican Star” who is “strong on everything and never gives up”. Ms Green will replace retiring incumbent Tom Graves…

Texas military bases contributed $123.6B to state economy, 630K jobs in 2019, officials say

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. Texas officials saluted the U.S. military’s bearing on the state’s economy this week, crediting the armed forces with a $123.6 billion financial impact and hundreds of thousands of…

Police chiefs across US condemn officers involved in George Floyd death

William La Jeunesse has an update on the protests beyond Minneapolis, Minnesota. Police officers are not all holding the thin blue line in light of the George Floyd video footage, showing  an officer kneeling on the neck of a black man…