WASHINGTON – Eleven US troops were treated for concussion symptoms as a result of last week’s Iranian missile attack on US military base in Iraq, the US military said Thursday in a statement.

“While no US service members were killed in the Jan 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed,” Captain Bill Urban, spokesman for US Central Command, said in a statement.

After last week’s attack in western Iraq, the Pentagon initially said that no casualty was reported.

The statement said some service members received “follow-on screening” as a measure of caution and consequently the symptoms were found.

Eight persons were transported to Germany and three sent to Kuwait for further screening, reported CNN Thursday, citing anonymous US military official.

CNN also reported that an anonymous US defense official claimed that the symptoms of the injured troops emerged “days after the fact.”

Seeking revenge for the killing of Iranian senior commander Qassem Soleimani by a US drone strike on Jan 3 in Iraq, Iran retaliated on Jan 8 by launching ballistic missiles on military bases housing US troops in Iraq’s western province of Anbar and near the city of Erbil, capital of the semi-autonomous region of Kurdistan.

More than 5,000 US troops are deployed in Iraq to support the Iraqi forces in the battle against Islamic State militants.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Canadian teen calls cops after fake ID doesn’t arrive, prompts police warning on identity theft scams

Report: Children are 51 times more likely to be victims than adults A Canadian teen’s bizarre call to police on Tuesday to report that the fake ID they ordered online never arrived has authorities stepping up efforts to warn of potential…

Survivors of Thai mall shooting speak of their ordeal

Jirattikarn Nobthai was riding his bike to the Terminal 21 shopping mall when the shooting began. He got down in an attempt to help others, his mother, Sasithorn Suthisook, said, but he was then himself hit: once in the arm…

Pablo Escobar’s ruthless assassin ‘Popeye’ bragged about massacring hundreds for the drug kingpin before his cancer death – as ex Colombian cop says it was his ‘dream’ to ‘watch someone put a bullet in his head’

Original source: Daily Mail He was once the world’s most feared assassin – a ruthless killing machine known as ‘Popeye’ who massacred thousands of people for infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar. But while few Colombians will shed a tear for…

Mets ban their minor league players from new clubhouse after $57m upgrade

The New York Mets have unveiled a $57m spring training facility, but they won’t let their minor league players use the clubhouse. The Mets train and play in Port St Lucie, Florida, in the preseason, which is due to start…