Afghan government air raids in northern Balkh province have killed at least seven civilians, including three children, triggering protests from local residents.

Tolo news, a local news website, reported that the victims belonged to one family and were killed while they were having dinner on Sunday.

A member of parliament from Balkh alleged that the attack was carried out in areas controlled by the government, according to local media reports.

The West-backed Afghan government, which has been battling an armed rebellion from Taliban, pledged to send a fact-finding mission to investigate the reports of civilian deaths.

The Balkh operation was part of the government’s ground and air offensive against the Taliban, which has waged an armed rebellion since it was dislodged from power in a US-led invasion in 2001 following deadly attacks on US soil.

The government offensive comes as the US has been engaging Taliban in peace talks to end the 19-year-old war.

Afghan defence ministry on Sunday said it has killed dozens of “terrorists” in 13 ground and 12 air operations across nine provinces in the last 24 hours, Reuters reported. At least 13 people have been wounded and six others arrested, the ministry said.

Meanwhile, the Taliban said it had staged two more attacks targeting security forces over the weekend, following sporadic assaults last week.

Afghan security forces’ checkpoints in Kunduz were attacked on Saturday night, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement, adding that 10 members of the security forces were killed and three wounded. Taliban fighters also captured a large weapons cache, he said.

In a separate statement, the Taliban said its fighters had ambushed an Afghan forces patrol in Balkh, killing eight security personnel.

The spike in hostilities comes as US and Taliban negotiators resumed talks in the Qatari capital, Doha, after US President Donald Trump abruptly suspended talks last September following a deadly attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.

Last week, another round of talks kicked off with US Special Representative on Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad meeting repeatedly with the Taliban’s chief negotiator Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar.

Multiple sources close to the talks said the Taliban had agreed internally to halt attacks against US forces and “reduce” assaults against Afghan government interests.

Over the last week, however, reports of attacks by Taliban fighters on government installations, including police stations continued to filter in from different parts of Afghanistan.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Northam announces plan to start lifting coronavirus restrictions on businesses: ‘We will reopen Virginia next Friday’

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here. Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam said Monday he anticipates Virginia will be ready…

Green Bay mayor warns Trump before visit that hospitality ‘has its limits’

Raw video: Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden makes remarks at campaign event in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The mayor of Green Bay, Wis., penned a letter to President Trump ahead of his visit to the battleground state, warning him that his…

Movie mogul starts work on appeal from New York hospital

Days after he was convicted of rape and a criminal sex act, Harvey Weinstein is working on his appeal while he remains in Bellevue hospital in New York awaiting a probable transfer to Rikers Island jail complex before his sentencing.…

Dana White: UFC’s ‘Fight Island’ nearly complete, will host international fights

UFC Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic discusses how being a firefighter has helped him in the octagon. He talks about past and potential upcoming UFC fights. Miocic also talks about his new collaboration with Fire Department Coffee.   The construction of its…