Authorities in Iran are preparing a space launch site to send the first of six civilian satellites into orbit, Iranian Information and Communications Technology Minister Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi tweeted on Monday.

The minister linked to a story published by US National Public Radio (NPR), which analyzed satellite recordings showing activity at the Imam Khomenei Space Center in northern Iran.

“Yes, a site is being prepared for placing the Zafar satellite into orbit,” the minister said in a Farsi-language tweet, referring to the Iranian-built communications device. He added that five more satellites were planned to follow Zafar.

The news comes amid a standoff with the US, which accuses Iran of using its space program as a cover for developing new types of ballistic missiles, which could at some point be equipped with nuclear warheads.

After a failed launch a year ago, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that satellite-carrying rockets “incorporate technologies that are virtually identical and interchangeable with those used in ballistic missiles rockets.”

Iran has repeatedly denied US accusations and insisted its space program is peaceful.

Tehran launched its first satellite, Omid (Hope), in 2009. While the feat was followed by other successful launches, the Iranian Space Agency (ISA) has notably struggled in the last 12 months. Two of its launch attempts failed last year in January and February, and a third attempt in August saw a rocket explode on the launch pad.

Earlier this month, Minister Azari-Jahromi tweeted that two Zafar-type satellites had been successfully tested and would soon be put into orbit. He also said that Iran had improved its capacities and should be now be able to launch satellites faster, according to Iranian news agency IRNA.

Every evening, DW sends out a selection of the day’s news and features. Sign up here.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Venezuela’s Maduro says arrest of Juan Guaido ‘will come’

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Friday that authorities have not detained opposition leader Juan Guaido because the courts have not ordered it, but he warned: “It will come.” Maduro made the remark in a meeting with the international press three…

US state tried to ‘breed out’ black people in 1929 to 1974: study

Some 7,600 people, including children as young as 10, were sterilised in a programme created to prevent ‘feebleminded’ citizens from becoming parents The programme met the United Nations’ definition of genocide, the researchers found A sterilisation programme that ran in…

Meghan Markle fights to keep friends anonymous in lawsuit

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking today in entertainment. Lawyers for Meghan Markle asked a judge at a London court on Wednesday to keep the names of five of her friends out…

A resurrection of sorts: Kim Jong-un’s aunt stuns guests with a shock appearance, after being ‘killed’ by tabloids years ago

Kim Kyong-hui, a full sister of Kim Il-sung who held significant sway in North Korean politics under her father and, later, her brother, had not been seen since 2013. In December of that year her husband, the powerful general Jang…