The 80-year-old man’s death marks the first virus fatality outside Asia, France’s health minister said
Only three deaths have so far been recorded outside mainland China – in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Japan
An elderly Chinese tourist has died from the new coronavirus in
, French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn said on Saturday.
The 80-year-old man’s death marks the first
, the minister said.
Only three deaths have so far been recorded outside mainland China – in the
France has recorded 11 cases of the virus, out of a global total of more than 67,000. The vast majority of those suffering from the virus are in
. The epidemic has killed more than 1,500 people.
The death came a day after the first group of French nationals evacuated from Wuhan were discharged after two weeks of quarantine at a seaside resort.
The group of 181 people was not allowed physical contact with the outside world for the duration of the virus’ estimated incubation period at the resort in Carry-le-Rouet on France’s Mediterranean coast.
With a clean bill of health for all 181, officials decided it was time to let them go.
Before their final goodbyes, each member of the group received a certificate stating they were not contagious, said Marc Zyltman, the senior Red Cross official at the site.
Another 44 people, who arrived at the resort later, have to stay behind for the remainder of their quarantine, as will 113 others at a different centre in nearby Aix-en-Provence.