Benjamin Netanyahu has announced he will move ahead with a highly controversial plan to build settlements east of Jerusalem, in an apparent offering to hardline nationalist voters less than a week before a general election.

Israel’s prime minister said he would reopen the long-dormant project to build 3,500 homes for Jewish settlers in one of the most sensitive areas of the occupied West Bank.

The blueprint for the 12 sq km (4.6 sq mile) site, named E1, was drafted in 1995 but has been repeatedly frozen by successive Israeli governments after strong international condemnation. It would expand the large settlement of Maale Adumim to in effect connect it with Jerusalem.

Palestinians and their global backers argue the plan would virtually cut the West Bank into two enclaves and completely encircle Palestinian neighbourhoods in the holy city. It has long been seen as an impassable barrier to any viable future Palestinian state.

“I have given instructions to immediately publish … the plan to build 3,500 housing units in E1,” Netanyahu said in a speech on Tuesday. “This had been delayed for six or seven years.”

On Monday, Israelis will vote in a Knesset election in which the rightwing leader – the longest-serving in the country’s history – hopes to emerge victorious with backing from settlers and their supporters.

He will need to win big to guarantee his political future. Two inconclusive elections in the past 12 months have resulted in stalemates, with neither Netanyahu nor his main rival, Benny Gantz, able to form a government.

To rally his base, Netanyahu made similar expansionist pledges before both votes. In April, he said he would annex all current settlements, and in September, he promised to go further, by claiming sovereignty over a third of the entire West Bank.

The US presidents George W Bush and Barack Obama both objected to the E1 plan. In 2012, Israel resurrected the idea as a retaliatory measure to the UN recognition of Palestine. That move was halted following a diplomatic crisis in which the UK, France, Sweden, Spain and Denmark summoned the respective Israeli ambassadors to their countries.

It is unclear if there will be a similar response this time. Donald Trump’s administration has backed many of Israel’s claims to the Palestinian territories. While the UK government has repeated that settlements are illegal, it has also praised Trump’s intentions for the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Trump shares image of Obama scaling Trump Tower

Donald Trump has tweeted a photoshopped image of Barack Obama scaling the walls of Trump Tower with suction cups and holding binoculars. The image, which was posted without a caption, appeared to be a reference to Mr Trump’s claims that Mr…

Oxford dictionaries change ‘sexist’ definitions of the word ‘woman’

‘Wench’, ‘piece’ and other derogatory terms listed as synonyms have been removed or labelled as offensive or dated One definition also altered to acknowledge that woman can be ‘a person’s wife, girlfriend or female lover’, not only a man’s Oxford…

Scale of torture and deaths in unofficial prisons revealed

The scale of abuse suffered by Yemenis in unofficial detention centres and prisons has been revealed in a new report which shows how extrajudicial detentions and killings have rocketed during the five-year-long conflict. Between May 2016 and April 2020, Mwatana,…

Artificial intelligence linked to Bin Laden raid is being used to find future threats

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. After raiding Usama Bin Laden’s compound, the government used artificial intelligence to discover future al-Qaida plans. That CIA-led raid took place on May 2, 2011, killing Bin…