LAUSANNE — The International Skating Union (ISU) World Short Track Speed Skating Championships, originally scheduled for March 13 to 15 in Seoul, South Korea, cannot be staged as planned, the ISU announced here on Tuesday.

The ISU said in a statement on its website that due to the novel coronavirus developments and the situation in Seoul, it was unable to hold the World Short Track Speed Skating Championships 2020 on the planned date.

The event was scheduled to be held at Mokdong Ice Rink, but the ISU was informed through the Korea Skating Union that “the competent authorities of the city of Seoul ordered the closing of the Mokdong Ice Rink and the cancellation of all planned competitions”.

The ISU also took into account the possibility of postponement or relocation but admitted it would be “difficult to achieve” because of the uncertain worldwide development of the coronavirus, the limited available time slots and logistical challenges.

“A postponement and/or relocation of this Championships might be considered if the circumstances would allow so in due time. Before taking a final decision, the ISU will remain in close contact with the Korea Skating Union and ISU Members,” the ISU said.

The ISU regretted that the last international short track event in 2019/20 season and also the most important one cannot be held as planned, but believed that under the current circumstances, ISU Members, skaters and fans would understand this decision.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Tokyo mulls postponing Summer Olympics

  In contrast to its firm stance of not long ago, the Japanese government conceded on Monday the possible need to postpone the Olympics as Canada and Australia pulled out because of the novel coronavirus pneumonia pandemic. At a parliamentary…

Rakitic tells Barcelona to not treat him ‘like a sack of potatoes’

Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic has criticised his club for their recent treatment of him and for trying to force his departure last year. The Croatian has been at Barca since 2014 but has fallen out of contention this campaign due…

Clint Bowyer reminded of being a rookie

At the age of 40, Clint Bowyer feels like kid again. Or something close to it. That’s the power of the eNASCAR Pro Invitational iRacing Series, which launched last weekend and continues Sunday on a digital Texas Motor Speedway (1…

Is Taylor Hall’s future in Arizona?

Arizona Coyotes general manager John Chayka said this weekend that he has continued to have some discussions with Dan Ferris, the agent for pending free agent forward Taylor Hall, but that they have not yet exchanged numbers in potential contract…