MOSCOW, RUSSIA – NOVEMBER 28, 2018: A view of the Russian Defence Ministry headquarters in Moscow. Mikhail Tereshchenko/TASS Ðîññèÿ. Ìîñêâà. Çäàíèå Ìèíèñòåðñòâà îáîðîíû ÐÔ íà Ôðóíçåíñêîé íàáåðåæíîé. Ìèõàèë Òåðåùåíêî/ÒÀÑÑ

MOSCOW, February 28. /TASS/. The Turkish military who came under fire from Syrian troops on February 27 were among the advancing militants, the Russian Defense Ministry told reporters.

“Turkish military who were in the terrorist units’ battle formations came under Syrian troops’ fire near the inhabited community of Behun on February 27,” the ministry said.

According to the ministry, militants from the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham terror group (one of the names of Jabhat al-Nusra, outlawed in Russia) made an attempt to launch a large-scale offensive in Syria’s Idlib.

“On February 27, 2020, the units of the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham terror group operating in the Idlib de-escalation zone made an attempt to conduct a large-scale offensive operation on the positions of Syrian government troops,” the ministry informed.

It stressed that the Russian Reconciliation Center in Syria had requested information on the exact locations of all units of the Turkish armed forces deployed close to the areas of terrorists’ military operations. According to the information provided by Ankara, there were no Turkish troops in the Behun area, the Defense Ministry stressed.

The Russian Reconciliation Center has stayed in touch with Turkey’s coordination center in Idlib in order to rule out any security threats to Turkish observation posts and units deployed in the Idlib de-escalation zone caused by the Syrian army’s reprisal fire.

As for the Russian Aerospace Forces, they did not carry out airstrikes in the area close to Behun where Turkish servicemen had been killed, the Russian top brass stated. “Aircraft of Russia’s Aerospace Forces were not used near the inhabited community of Behun,” the statement reads.

According to the Defense Ministry, “immediately after receiving information about the injured Turkish troops, Russia took comprehensive measures to ensure full cessation of hostilities by Syrian forces.” The evacuation of the Turkish servicemen who had been killed or wounded to Turkey was ensured as well.

Governor of Turkey’s Hatay province bordering Syria Rahmi Dogan earlier reported that Turkish troops had come under fire in Syria’s idlib Governorate, with at least 33 soldiers killed. According to Omer Celik, spokesman for the Justice and Development Party led by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, after that incident Ankara will view Syrian troops as enemy targets.

The situation in Idlib deteriorated dramatically in early February after the Russian and Turkish taskforces had made another attempt to enforce a ceasefire. Terrorists only intensified their attacks instead. Last week, Erdogan said that Ankara was ready to use all its combat might in case of a military operation in Idlib. He also noted that another military campaign in Idlib was just a matter of time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Russia’s latest S-500 anti-aircraft missile system at final stage of trials

MOSCOW, March 26. /TASS/. The integral parts of Russia’s next-generation S-500 Triumphant-M anti-aircraft missile system are at the final stage of their trials, CEO of the Design Bureau of Special Machine-Building (part of Almaz-Antey defense manufacturer) Vladimir Dolbenkov said in…

Why Hitler Surely Wished He Built Aircraft Carriers

Key Point: When World War II hung on a knifes-edge in Europe, a couple of German carriers could have changed the outcome. Dictators are not in the habit of admitting mistakes. But if Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini could talk from the…

Russian Baltic Fleet ships set off for Atlantic deployment

KALININGRAD, February 19. /TASS/. The Baltic Fleet’s naval group comprising the corvette Stoiky and the large amphibious warfare ship Korolyov departed from the naval base of Baltiysk in Russia’s westernmost Kaliningrad Region and set off for their deployment to the…

A China-India Clash Would Be Xi Jinping’s Grand Mistake

President Xi Jinping has moved forward with his plans to strip Hong Kong of its separate status and impose the primacy of Chinese communist rule on the former British territory. Xi’s action highlights China’s fundamental dishonesty and should give all…