Representatives from Bayern Munich’s fan and ultra scene have reacted to Saturday’s events in Hoffenheim, in which a game came to a stop due to a series of banners against Hoffenheim owner Dietmar Hopp.

“Südkurve München”, a website known to communicate messages of Bayern Munich’s ultra groups, took to their social media account to explain their view of the incidents in Sinsheim.

The statement starts in a rather reflective manner, saying the term “son of a whore” is “not the language we would normally use.” The statement adds, however, that this is a language often heard at football games across Germany, and that the need for grabbing people’s attention left them “no other choice” but to use the term, which was used by other fan groups in previous protests against the Hoffenheim owner.

“If we’re going to interrupt football games whenever such insults are said, it will no longer be possible to finish the whole 90 minutes,” reads the statement.

As to their reasoning behind taking part in the protests, the Südkurve say that while they are not personally affected by the collective punishment applied against Borussia Dortmund fans, they consider the issue of collective punishment and Hopp an “attack” on supporter rights.

Club Nr. 12, an umbrella organization known to represent a large number of organized Bayern Munich fans and members, also released a statement about the events in Sinsheim.

While the organization distances itself from the insults shown in the away end, it also added that the reactions were “over the top and untrustworthy.”

“In the previous weeks, we’ve seen enough racist and sexist incidents in German stadiums where we could have set the example,” the statement read, referring to the racist abuse Hertha Berlin’s Jordan Torunarigha and Würzburger Kickers’ Leroy Kwadwo suffered during matches.

“When there’s a patron involved whose business happens to be a financial partner of the DFB, that’s when they say a red line was crossed,” reads the statement.

Bayern Munich President Herbert Hainer said in a statement released on Sunday that the club will “examine all the options” to prevent similar actions in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Murray buoyed by positive signs he’ll return to ‘high-level tennis’

Andy Murray is confident he is on the right path towards playing “high level tennis” after coming through a physical encounter with Kyle Edmund at the Battle of the Brits unscathed, even if he did lose. Murray was playing just…

Sterling: Goals don’t mean anything unless City keep winning trophies

Raheem Sterling believes his goals will only mean something if they help Manchester City to more silverware. The England forward took his tally to 17 Premier League goals for the campaign as he netted a hat-trick in City’s 5-0 thrashing…

Mayweather receives ‘tooth fairy’ taunt after teasing comeback

Marcos Maidana has goaded Floyd Mayweather by asking how much the tooth fairy will leave him after claiming to own of the American’s teeth. The Argentinian allegedly knocked out one of Mayweather’s teeth in their rematch back in 2014. And El Chino maintains…

Copa Libertadores could resume in early May: CONMEBOL

RIO DE JANEIRO – South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) president Alejandro Dominguez said Tuesday that the Copa Libertadores could resume in early May. South America’s premier club competition was suspended indefinitely last week as a precaution against the spread of…