LONDON —
London’s Royal Opera House says Spanish tenor ‪Plácido Domingo, who is ensnared in allegations of sexual misconduct, has withdrawn from upcoming performances of Don Carlo.

In a statement Friday, the Royal Opera House said that it had been mutually agreed with Domingo that he will not be taking up his role in the Giuseppe Verdi classic in July.

The Royal Opera House said it had received no claims of misconduct against Domingo during his time at the venue and was “sympathetic” about his reasons for withdrawing.

It added that Domingo, 79, is an “outstanding singer and artist and we are hugely grateful for his support and commitment over many decades.”

Domingo’s replacement will be announced in due course, it added.

Domingo, who has been accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct, has pulled out of several performances as music venues have reassessed their ties with the tenor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

New hot spots emerge across the country as US overtakes China and Italy in number of coronavirus cases

(CNN)New coronavirus hot spots are emerging in the Chicago, Detroit and New Orleans areas — and health officials there are pleading for medical resources to meet the surges. Michigan‘s roughly 3,000 cases are nearly a tenfold increase from March 19,…

‘I’m at the forefront of a discussion that will save women’s lives’

Soon after Candice Brathwaite gave birth to her daughter Esmé – by Caesarean section, rather than the home birth she dreamed of – she became convinced something wasn’t right. At night she was sweating through her sheets, which midwives put…

India’s top court suspends implementation of new farm laws

NEW DELHI — India’s top court on Tuesday temporarily put on hold the implementation of agricultural reform laws and ordered the creation of an independent committee of experts to negotiate with farmers who have been protesting against the legislation. The…

Bridge linking two cities over Yangtze opens

Span expected to help ease traffic for travelers from Nantong to Shanghai A grand bridge over the Yangtze River serving cars and trains began operations on Wednesday in Nantong, Jiangsu province, and is expected to greatly promote the integration of…