SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Qianjiang city in China’s Hubei province said on Wednesday it will continue with strict transportation bans, revoking a policy of relaxation that was announced on Tuesday.

The city said in an announcement on WeChat that it “will continue to implement strict traffic and personnel control … to win the epidemic.”

Qianjiang had said on Tuesday that all traffic checkpoints will be removed, public transportation will restart and firms will resume work in the near future, according to a report on an official website.

Reporting by Emily Chow and Lusha Zhang; Editing by Tom Hogue

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Germany to start border reopening

Germany is set to reopen some of its borders this weekend as the European Union unveiled guidelines to boost summer tourism across the continent after months of lockdowns due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. With two months of restrictions on…

President pledges to protect indigenous rights after activists murdered

Costa Rica’s president has pledged to protect the rights of indigenous defenders following a spate of violence against native communities in his country. Last month, an activist, Yehry Rivera, from the Brörán indigenous community in Térraba, Puntarenas province, was shot…

EU divisions over Libya leave a gap for others

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan wants to militarily support the Tripoli-based Libyan government — which is recognized by the UN — in its fight against militia commander Khalifa Haftar. And if Turkish parliament signs off on his proposal in the…

Texas to refuse new refugees under Trump’s executive order

Texas is to become the first US state to stop accepting refugees, using an executive order signed by Donald Trump. Republican governor Greg Abbott sparked fierce criticism as he announced the state would opt out of the US government’s resettlement…