South Korea, China and Singapore are among the Asian countries facing a second coronavirus wave, spurred by people importing it from outside.

China, where the virus first emerged, reported no new domestic cases on Thursday for the first time since it started recording numbers in January.

But it reported 34 new cases among people recently returned to China.

South Korea saw a jump in new cases on Thursday with 152, though it is not clear how many were imported.

A new cluster there is centred on a nursing home in Daegu, where 74 patients have tested positive.

On Wednesday, Singapore reported 47 new infections – of which 33 were imported, including 30 residents who had been infected abroad and brought the infection back.

In China, there were eight more deaths, all in the central province of Hubei and most of them in Wuhan.

All three countries had been showing success in controlling domestic cases, but there is concern that increases elsewhere could unravel their progress.

Much of the focus of the outbreak has now shifted to Europe and the US, but the new numbers signal that the outbreak is far from over in Asia.

According to a tally by John Hopkins University in the US, there are 215,955 cases and 8,749 deaths globally.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the vast majority – 80% – have occurred in Europe and the Western Pacific region, which includes much of Asia.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Sarah Montague wins £400,000 settlement for ‘unequal treatment’

The radio presenter Sarah Montague has won a £400,000 settlement and an apology from the BBC after being treated “unequally” by it for many years. Montague, 53, who previously presented BBC Radio 4’s Today program alongside veteran journalist John Humphrys,…

Police video appears to show woman damaging cameras 5 times after controversial NYPD arrest

The NYPD is defending the arrest of a protester after video of the incident goes viral; Bryan Llenas reports from New York City. The New York Police Department has released new video footage that appears to show the woman who…

Facebook removes ‘deceptive’ Trump census ads

Facebook has removed a series of misleading adverts from the Donald Trump campaign promoting “the Official 2020 Congressional District Census”. The adverts made it appear respondents were taking part in the official 2020 US census, which begins on 12 March.…

Spain to keep coronavirus restrictions under review as some companies prepare to restart

MADRID (Reuters) – Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said on Sunday any further loosening of the country’s lockdown restrictions would depend on more progress in the fight against the coronavirus, a day before some companies plan to reopen their doors.…