Anthony Joshua’s world heavyweight title defence against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev will be postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, the IBF’s mandatory challenger said on Thursday.

Former European amateur super-heavyweight champion Pulev said the fight would probably take place at the end of the year, instead of 20 June at Tottenham Hotspur’s stadium in London as scheduled.

The 62,000-seat stadium is unlikely to be available after European soccer’s governing body Uefa postponed Euro 2020 to 2021 this week, meaning any rescheduled Premier League fixtures could now run into the summer.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

“It is impossible for the fight to take place on 20 June, although I am ready,” Pulev, 38, said.

“The match will take place a few months later, perhaps towards the end of the year.”

Pulev, one of Bulgaria’s most popular sportsmen, challenged for the IBF world heavyweight title in 2014, losing to Wladimir Klitschko in Hamburg via fifth-round knockout.

Joshua last fought in London in September 2018 when he beat Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium.

In his last bout, Joshua out-pointed Andy Ruiz Jr in a rematch to regain the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles in December.

In June last year, Ruiz handed Joshua his first defeat as a pro, beating the Briton via TKO in Madison Square Garden in New York.

Reuters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Barty retains top place in WTA rankings

BEIJING – Australia’s Ashleigh Barty remains the top place in the latest WTA world rankings released on Monday. Barty has a best of 8,717 points, followed by Romania’s Simona Halep on 6,076. Swiss player Belinda Bencic managed the only gain…

Polyana Viana: Crime-fighting Brazilian Instagram star aims for return to winning ways inside the cage at UFC 248

Viana, 27, made headlines far beyond the bounds of MMA circles after she fought off a would-be mugger in Rio de Janeiro in January of last year. READ MORE: Dana White shares photo of man battered by fighter Polyana Viana…

Mourinho: Arsenal do not have much to celebrate

Jose Mourinho has hit back at Arsenal’s apparent ridicule of Tottenham Hotspur’s defeat at Sheffield United on social media by saying the Gunners do not have any success of their own to enjoy. The Gunners poked fun at their north…

Tyson Fury’s next three fights revealed by promoter

Bob Arum has outlined Tyson Fury’s next three fights to secure his legacy as the greatest heavyweight of his generation. The WBC world champion is riding high after battering Deontay Wilder to take his belt in Las Vegas last month.…