Liverpool’s hopes of signing RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner could be scuppered by the coronavirus outbreak.

RB Leipzig sporting director Markus Krosche believes that the current global pandemic could stretch long enough to affect the summer transfer window, with the Bundesliga club expecting to lose the 24-year-old Germany international at the end of the season.

Liverpool have been touted as the front-runners to land Werner in the summer, having not reinforced their front-line attack since the 2017 signing of Mohamed Salah.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

But with football in Europe currently on hold for the foreseeable future and the 2019/20 season set to drag on through the summer in an effort to complete all domestic and European games, summer transfers could be seriously impacted to the point that Leipzig would not be in a position to let Werner leave – or may not even be allowed to do so.

“It is clear that Timo has attracted interest from other clubs for his great performances with his goals and assists,” Krosche told Sport1, with Werner scoring an impressive 21 goals in 25 league games and 27 in total from his 36 club matches this season.

 

 

“But England has the same problems as we do. The crisis affects not just one league, it has a global impact, and we cannot say whether things will be the same in six months.”

Liverpool are understood to be the favourites to land Werner, with Jurgen Klopp and his scouting team pinpointing the former Stuttgart striker as the perfect fit for his side even though they have doubts regarding his suitability to cope with the physicality of the Premier League.

Yet when asked to clarify whether Werner could end up remaining in Leipzig and not leaving as has been strongly suggested, Krosche could not rule it out.

“Everything is possible,” he said. “We do not know how the transfer market is developing. We are looking into a very foggy glass ball. We do not know what our resources are and what the other clubs have in terms of opportunities.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Brazilian UFC ‘pioneer’ Gadelha drawing inspiration from Zhang-Joanna epic as she aims to restore herself as strawweight threat

Number six-ranked Gadelha finally finds herself on the verge of a return after a disruptive run of cancelations which have added up to almost a year outside the octagon.  Gadelha, 31, has not seen action since July when she defeated…

Seavey wins Saturday Night Thunder at virtual Bristol

Logan Seavey overcame an early incident and passed Chase Cabre for the lead with 13 laps to go in the 150-lap race to win the Saturday Night Thunder iRacing event at a virtual Bristol Motor Speedway. The race was run…

Wu planning to stick with Espanyol ‘family’

Chinese ace appears to rule out move despite team’s La Liga relegation  Wu Lei has strongly indicated he will remain with Espanyol next season despite the club’s relegation from La Liga. Defeat to Barcelona last week ended Espanyol’s 26-year stay…

Atlanta finish could make Martinsville tougher on Johnson

A late charge by Clint Bowyer on Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway could make Wednesday night’s race at Martinsville more difficult for Jimmie Johnson. Johnson, who is in the midst of a 105-race winless streak, is the most prolific active…