The Government has granted drivers a six-month extension to their MOT because of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Motorists who have an MOT due from Monday 30 March will not have to do anything and will automatically be given a six month extension.

However, vehicles must still be kept in a roadworthy condition, with garages remaining open for essential repair works, and prosecutions for unsafe vehicles still possible.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

The new change applies to car, motorcycle and vans. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: “We must ensure those on the frontline of helping the nation combat Covid-19 are able to do so.

“Allowing this temporary exemption from vehicle testing will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people get essential food and medicine.

“Safety is key, which is why garages will remain open for essential repair work.”

The Government says legislation will be introduced on 30 March and and will come into immediate effect for 12 months.

Drivers will still need to get their vehicles tested until the new legislation comes into place if they are due.

Vehicles that previously did not pass a first MOT will not be given an extension.  

The government has also suspended practical driving tests and annual testing for lorries, buses and coaches for up to three months.

Government pandemic lock-down rules mean people are banned from leaving their homes except under very specific circumstances – under threat of fines.

The government has said people can only leave their homes for one of four reasons: infrequent shopping for basic necessities, one form of exercise a day, medical assistance and helping a vulnerable person, or travelling too and from work where it cannot be done at home.

No hype, just the advice and analysis you need

Register with your social account or click here to log in

Even when following the guidance people should stay two metres away from each other at all times, government guidance says – and seek to minimise the amount of time they spend outside their homes.

All social events such as weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies have also been banned – though funerals, attended by immediate family only, will be allowed.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

California counties sue to block Trump immigration rule

Two of the most populous counties in California sued the Trump administration on Tuesday over its newly unveiled sweeping regulation that would make it easier for the government to deny green cards and temporary visas for legal immigrants who use public…

As CPAC opens, Rep. Dan Crenshaw releases video attacking socialism

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. As conservatives gathered in Maryland on Wednesday for the start of the annual CPAC conference, Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas, posted a video touching on the theme of…

Trump had ‘productive’ meeting with Cuomo over NY immigrant policies: official

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A White House meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo over New York’s pro-immigrant policies was “productive,” according to Trump’s top homeland official. Acting U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf,…

‘Very likely’ some unexplained care home deaths due to Covid-19

It is “very likely” that some of the 10,000 “unexplained” additional deaths in care homes in April were due to coronavirus, deputy chief medical officer Jenny Harries has said. Dr Harries’ comment raises the prospect that the true death toll…