ATHENS – The Tokyo 2020 Olympics must acknowledge the coronavirus crisis which forced their postponement and incorporate it into next year’s opening ceremony, executive producer Marco Balich said.

Balich, an Italian with great experience in producing Olympic opening and closing ceremonies, said the Japanese had almost completed preparations for this year.

The virus, however, put a stop to the Games and Balich’s international team are returning from Japan.

“I think for sure the Olympic ceremony which is a window of all humanity will have to reflect somehow or reference somehow what has happened,” Balich told Reuters in a phone interview from his home in Milan.

Balich has been confined to his house for the past three weeks with the virus having killed more than 10,000 people in his country and Italy in national lockdown. More than 34,000 have died worldwide.

“We already had prototypes and started rehearsals. We were in very good shape,” Balich said, adding he was grateful the Games were postponed.

“I think given this difficult decision, what our ceremonies team can now do is refresh and have a unique opportunity to rethink and use them to make them the biggest celebration with Olympic values.”

The International Olympic Committee decided last week to delay the Games, which had been scheduled to begin in July amid growing pressure from athletes and teams, to 2021.

“To give a full year postponement… would be the right sort of time to cure our wounds and restart the work,” Balich said.

New dates for the Games are expected to be announced this week.

Reuters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘It’s going to be a closed event’: UFC president Dana White says Khabib vs. Ferguson WILL go ahead – at a mystery location

The oft-booked and long-awaited clash between UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and former interim champion Tony Ferguson was set to take place at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center on April 18, but the ongoing and escalating coronavirus outbreak in the United States…

Liverpool and Everton cancel each other out in cagey Merseyside derby

The wait was awfully long and so emotionally draining through its most uncertain periods that it affected Jurgen Klopp physically, but this was not the return Liverpool would have mentally sketched during their 103-day hiatus. They arrived at Goodison Park…

Australian rules football season to start despite coronavirus shutdown

The Australian rules football season will commence on Thursday despite the coronavirus outbreak. The AFL has announced the opening fixture between Richmond and Carlton at the MCG will take place behind closed doors on Thursday evening. It has also been…

Beach volleyball return will inspire us: FIVB president

  GENEVA – International Federation de Volleyball (FIVB) president Ary S. Graca released a video on Tuesday discussing the work being done to ensure the return of beach volleyball, and sending out messages that its return will inspire people. According…