The chief executive of the Tokyo Games cannot guarantee the postponed Olympics will be staged next year even with a 12-month delay.

Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, issued an emergency declaration this week to battle coronavirus, putting the country under restrictions after it had seemed it would avoid the spread. Japan, which has the world’s oldest population, has reported about 5,000 cases and 100 deaths.

“I don’t think anyone would be able to say if it is going to be possible to get it under control by next July or not,” the Tokyo Organising Committee chief, Toshiro Muto, said. “We’re certainly are not in a position to give you a clear answer.”

The Olympics were postponed last month with a new date set for 23 July 2021, followed by the Paralympics on 24 August.

Abe has been criticised for being slow to act against coronavirus. Opposition political leaders have suggested he downplayed its severity and have said this might have been tied to wanting to hold the Olympics this year.

“We have made the decision to postpone the Games by one year,” Muto said. “So this means all we can do is work hard to prepare for the Games. We sincerely hope that come next year mankind will manage to overcome the coronavirus crisis.”

Muto was asked if there are alternative plans to 2021. “Rather than think about alternatives plans we should put in all of our effort,” he said. “Mankind should bring together all of its technology and wisdom to work hard so they can developtreatments, medicines and vaccines.”

Muto was asked several times about the added costs of postponing, which have been estimated by Japanese media at between $2bn-$6bn. He said it was too soon to know the price and who would pay.

He also acknowledged that Tokyo Olympic organisers had taken out insurance. “Tokyo 2020 has taken out several insurance policies,” he said, “but whether the postponement of the Games qualifies as an event that is covered is not clear yet.”

He was also asked about the Olympic flame, which was taken off public display this week in Fukushima.

“After the Olympic torch relay was cancelled, the Olympic flame was put under the management of Tokyo 2020,” Muto said. “In the future there is a possibility it might be put on display somewhere. I’m not going to make any further comment on the issue.”

There are suggestions the International Olympic Committee is thinking of taking the flame on a world tour, hoping to use it as a symbol of the battle against the virus. Any tour would be impossible until travel restrictions are lifted. Taking the flame away from Japan could also upset the hosts.
_

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Bear is recaptured after scaling 13ft electrified fence to escape Italian enclosure and embarking on nine-month ‘crime spree’ stealing honey 

A bear who escaped from an enclosure in the Italian Alps and led hunters on a nine-month chase across the country as he committed a catalogue of ‘crimes’ has been recaptured.   Three-year-old Papillon – given the name in a nod…

Miami Super Bowl stadium to reduce plastic waste

This year’s Super Bowl championship is aiming to reduce plastic use by introducing aluminium cups for American football fans attending the event. The 54th Super Bowl final takes place at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday. The San Francisco 49ers…

Rising temperatures put more US workers at risk of dying from heat

It was more than 100F (38C) in the attic where telephone technician Brent Robinson was working. The 55-year-old, who had worked for 30 years at Verizon, was installing a phone service for a residential customer in Rancho Cucamonga, 40 miles…

UK joins U.S., U.N. in supporting Saudi-led ceasefire in Yemen amid virus outbreak

(Reuters) – British foreign minister Dominic Raab said on Thursday that the United Kingdom supported the Saudi-led ceasefire in Yemen that went into effect on Thursday amid the coronavirus outbreak and has raised hope for an end to the five-year-old…