Four-times Tour de France winner Chris Froome said his recovery from a horrific accident last year was nearly complete and his training load was back to normal as he prepares for when competition resumes after the new coronavirus outbreak.

Speaking during a Team Ineos virtual race on Sunday, Froome described his recovery as “going really well” as he waits out the coronavirus lockdown at home in France.

“I’d go as far as saying it’s pretty much complete,” said the 34-year-old British rider.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

“I am still doing some exercises off the bike just to strengthen that right side that was injured but I’m back to normal training loads again.”

Froome spent more than three weeks in hospital after breaking his neck, femur, elbow, hip and ribs when he crashed into a wall at high speed while training for the Criterium du Dauphin last June.

The accident happened when he took his hands off the handlebar to blow his nose and was hit by a gust of wind.

He returned to competition in February at the UAE Tour, a race that was cut short by the coronavirus.

International racing has been suspended until at least 1 June, with May’s Giro d’Italia as well as the Milan-Sanremo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix and Liege-Bastogne-Liege classics all having been postponed because of the pandemic.

But Tour de France organisers are focusing on a postponement of the 27 June – 19 July race rather than a cancellation, according to an email seen by Reuters on Saturday which was sent to the publishers of the official Tour programme.

Since returning home, Froome said life had revolved around family and training.

“Staying really busy with the kids every day and doing as much training as I can on the turbo trainer (stationary bike) and a lot of gym work as well,” he said.

“We’re all driving each other mental but getting through it.”

Reuters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Way-too-early NBA title odds for next year

If you’re looking at the odds then laying down money on the NBA championship for next season before taking into account the draft, off-season trades, and where players land during free agency, then you’re brave. Or stupid. Or, just a…

Pulisic remains out with ‘problematic’ injury

Christian Pulisic remains out injured for Chelsea, Frank Lampard has confirmed. Pulisic, 22, will not play against Newcastle United on Saturday (watch live, 7:30am ET on Peacock Premium) as the USMNT winger will miss a fourth-straight game for the Blues.…

‘They acted like we’re FBI Top 10’: Sprint star pair who were FORCIBLY hauled from car with baby call UK cops ‘DISGUSTING’ (VIDEO)

In footage released by Williams, Portuguese 400m record holder Dos Santos can be heard telling Metropolitan Police officers that he “didn’t do anything” as they approach the car to ask the couple to step out while a search for weapons…

Conte speaks out on Chelsea exit

Antonio Conte has finally broken his silence on his time at Chelsea, as he’s spoken about his two seasons in charge of the Premier League club. [ MORE: How to watch PL in the USA ]   Conte, 51, left Chelsea amid plenty…