A veteran Labour MP who contracted coronavirus has been moved out of intensive care but remains in hospital.

In a statement published on his behalf, Rochdale MP Tony Lloyd, 70, said he was “on the mend”.

“It certainly is a tough condition and it has no doubt left me literally gasping for air,” Mr Lloyd said in the statement which was posted on Twitter.

The MP was admitted to Manchester Royal Infirmary after falling ill with the virus.

Shortly after the statement was published, Labour Party leader Keir Starmer tweeted: “This is really good to see. Get well soon, Tony!”

Mr Lloyd, who is currently the shadow Northern Ireland secretary, has previously represented Stretford and Central Manchester and was Greater Manchester’s police and crime commissioner.

Message from Tony Lloyd MPThank you all for the many messages of support. I have now been moved out of ICU. It certainly is a tough condition and it has no doubt left me literally gasping for air. But I am happy to say that I am, and continue to be, on themend. Best wishes,Tony”. pic.twitter.com/oyM2tzKExi

End of Twitter post by @FaisalRana48

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Dan Coats stepping down as intel chief

FROM THE CANDIDATES SEN. KAMALA HARRIS: Just in time for the second round of the 2020 Democratic debates, on Monday Sen. Kamala Harris released her version of a “Medicare for All” plan. While the campaign says she is still a co-sponsor of Sen.…

Row erupts in Commonwealth over pandemic summit

A furious row has broken out at the top of the Commonwealth over attempts by the organisation’s Secretary-General to hold an emergency virtual summit to discuss the Covid-19 pandemic. Baroness Scotland invited all 54 heads of government to Wednesday’s summit…

Trump meets with Venezuelan opposition leader Guaidó at White House

Trump honors US-recognized Venezuelan President Guaido at State of the Union President Trump met at the White House on Wednesday with Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó – giving a big bump to the South American politician as he wraps up…

Supreme Court says Trump administration can shut down census count now, despite fears of an undercount

The Trump administration may shut down the census count now, after the Supreme Court on Tuesday put on hold a judicial order keeping the count going through the end of the month. The court, as is common in emergency applications,…