Fury made his proclamation while speaking to fans on Instagram Live on Saturday, promising that there will be news, potentially related to his next fight, released very shortly.

This has fueled speculation that there had been a breakthrough in discussions between representatives of Fury and Anthony Joshua, and comes after reports that figures within Saudi Arabia had made a bid to host what would be the most high profile heavyweight title fight in a generation. 

We’ve got some massive news coming soon. Some massive, massive news,” Fury said.

I was just on the phone to the old MTK [his management company] and we’ve got some massive news coming for you all very, very soon, so keep an eye out for it all.

Fury had been expected to face Deontay Wilder in a trilogy bout this summer before the on-going coronavirus health crisis forced all parties to pull back. 

Wilder, who lost their second fight via seventh-round corner stoppage in February, had taken up his contractual option of arranging a third fight with Fury. However, there has been no indication about when boxing events may be considered safe to proceed.

Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, however, has said that there have been no discussions regarding arranging a fight between his fighter and Tyson Fury as of yet.

Top Rank’s Bob Arum, who promotes Fury in the United States, has hit out at sports entities attempting to stage events in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic – and recently referred to UFC chief Dana White as a “cowboy” for pushing ahead with Saturday night’s controversial card in Jacksonville, Florida. 

Joshua has already signed a contract to fight Kubrat Pulev in a mandatory title defence, though this was also cancelled due to the pandemic. For Fury-Joshua to be fast-tracked, both Pulev and Wilder would have to agree to offers to step aside from their forthcoming fights. 

It remains to be seen if this is manageable, especially at a time when the sporting landscape remains so unclear, but it appears that there is at least one very rich consortium in Saudi Arabia who might be willing to try.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Louisville receives notice of allegations

Louisville on Monday received a notice of allegations from the NCAA that included one Level I allegation and three Level II allegations, including one against former Louisville and current Iona head coach Rick Pitino. Pitino was hit with a head…

World’s legendary short track speed skater Viktor Ahn wraps up his sports career

MOSCOW, April 27. /TASS/. Russia’s six-time Olympic Champion in short track speed skating Viktor Ahn has wrapped up his sports career, Alexei Kravtsov, the president of the Russian Skating Union (RSU), told TASS on Monday. “He sent us a letter…

‘Deeply ashamed’ Bayern vows action on offensive banner

  Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge vowed to “take all-out action” against the fans who unfurled a banner insulting Hoffenheim benefactor Dietmar Hopp during the Bundesliga leader’s 6-0 victory on Saturday. The game in Hoffenheim finished in bizarre circumstances with…

An owner-player salary fight could be looming

Back in March, Major League Baseball and the MLBPA reached an agreement over pay for the 2020 season. The upshot: Seems pretty straightforward, but it seems now that the owners are not too keen on it. We heard the first rumblings…