Four-times Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel is set to quit Ferrari at the end of the year after contract talks broke down.

Ferrari have said the German was their first choice to partner Charles Leclerc but they wanted an answer by the end of April to ensure potential replacements were still available.

“My relationship with Scuderia Ferrari will finish at the end of 2020,” Vettel said in a statement on Tuesday. “In order to get the best possible results in this sport, it’s vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

“The team and I have realised that there is no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season. Financial matters have played no part in this joint decision. That’s not the way I think when it comes to making certain choices and it never will be.

Team principal Mattia Binotto added: “This is a decision taken jointly by ourselves and Sebastian, one which both parties feel is for the best. It was not an easy decision to reach, given Sebastian’s worth as a driver and as a person.

“There was no specific reason that led to this decision, apart from the common and amicable belief that the time had come to go our separate ways in order to reach our respective objectives.

“Sebastian is already part of the Scuderia’s history, with his 14 Grands Prix wins making him the third most successful driver for the team, while he is also the one who has scored the most points with us.

“In our five years together, he has finished in the top three of the Drivers’ Championship three times, making a significant contribution to the team’s constant presence in the top three of the Constructors’ classification.

“On behalf of everyone at Ferrari, I want to thank Sebastian for his great professionalism and the human qualities he has displayed over these five years, during which we shared so many great moments.

Vettel joined Ferrari in 2015 after winning all his titles with Red Bull and dreaming of emulating his boyhood hero Michael Schumacher, who took five of his seven titles with the Maranello-based team.

The father of three told reporters last month that he could have a new deal done before the start of a season delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Australian Daniel Ricciardo, at Renault, and McLaren’s Spaniard Carlos Sainz have both been mentioned in media reports as leading candidates to take one of the most coveted seats on the grid.

Both are also out of contract at the end of 2020.

Six-times world champion Lewis Hamilton has also been linked to Ferrari but has repeatedly indicated he intends to stay with Mercedes.

Formula One has deferred to 2022 a major technical rule change planned for 2021, meaning teams will use the same cars next year as this.

Ferrari appeared to be behind Mercedes on pace in pre-season testing but have not been able to run their car in race conditions due to the March 15 Australian opener being cancelled.

The sport hopes to get going behind closed doors in Austria in July.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Stevenson vs Marriaga to take place behind closed doors

Boxing promoter Bob Arum has announced that Shakur Stevenson vs Miguel Marriaga will now take place behind closed doors at the MSG Theater in New York. Michael Conlan vs Belmar Preciado will also be contested without fans inside MSG Theater, Arum told The Athletic. Fans will not be…

Vardy double sees Leicester down Palace to boost top four hopes

Jamie Vardy scored his 100th Premier League goal as Leicester City got their challenge for Champions League football back on track with a first victory since the restart against Crystal Palace. Vardy, stuck on 99 goals since his double in…

Barcelona legend Xavi ‘agrees to replace Quique Setien’ as coach of Catalan club – reports

Setien succeeded Ernesto Valverde as coach in January but club officials have reportedly determined that former Real Betis boss isn’t up to the task of leading one of European football’s most traditionally dominant clubs and are poised to take drastic…

Lin makes million-dollar pledge for coronavirus fight

Beijing Ducks star Jeremy Lin, the first Asian-American to win an NBA title, has pledged up to $1 million to coronavirus relief efforts. The 31-year-old, whose 2012 heroics for the New York Knicks were dubbed “Linsanity”, will donate $500,000 and…