As the NHL continues to try and figure out a sensible, safe way to resume play, Commissioner Gary Bettman said this week that canceling the season is not an option right now.

During a virtual town hall hosted by the Sharks, Bettman told members of the team’s business alliance that he remains keen on awarding the Stanley Cup this season and flexibility when it comes to the schedule is necessary.

“I believe that if the right time comes, and the right circumstances, based on all of the options that we’re considering and our ability to execute them, we’ll get this season done,” Bettman said via the Mercury News. “I don’t want to sound Pollyanna, but canceling is too easy a solution. That means you stop working hard to do all of the things that we’re doing, and I ultimately believe that there will be an opportunity.”

Only twice in NHL history has the Cup not been awarded: 1919, due to the worldwide flu pandemic and 2005, following the season-long lockout.

The league continues to explore different ways to finish the season if and when they get the green light to do so. There’s been discussions about cities serving as hubs, teams playing in their own rinks with no fans, expanding the playoff field, and using a tournament format, among others. We’re two months into this pause, so any hope of a normal conclusion to the schedule is gone. A creative solution will be what’s needed and likely what we’re going to get.

No matter how this season comes to an end, the NHL already understands 2020-21 will be affected, possibly with a December start to the season. But that’s an issue that will be handled when the time comes.

“We would like to bring a conclusion to this season,” Bettman said. “It’s got to be fair, it’s got to have integrity, and if we have to do it over the summer on some modified basis, then we’ll do it on that basis.”

MORE:
AHL cancels remainder of 2019-20 season
NHL makes case to teams for early-June draft
Ways to spice up early, virtual draft
Crosby prefers 24-team playoff tournament vs. March Madness-style format

————

Sean Leahy is a writer for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports. Drop him a line at phtblog@nbcsports.com or follow him on Twitter @Sean_Leahy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

UFC star Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza TESTS POSITIVE for COVID-19, but UFC 249 will still GO AHEAD (VIDEO)

Souza was due to face Uriah Hall in a middleweight bout on the UFC 249 card in Jacksonville and, like all fighters involved on the card, had been subjected to coronavirus testing and daily temperature and health checks while at…

‘I didn’t miss the game at all’: Tennis ace Nick Kyrgios happy to return at Australian Open – but admits no love lost for rivals

Speaking at a warm-up event ahead of the first tennis Grand Slam of 2021 in Melbourne, Kyrgios revealed that, unlike many of his rivals, he didn’t suffer any withdrawal symptoms after being forced off the court due to the ongoing…

Tokyo mulls postponing Summer Olympics

  In contrast to its firm stance of not long ago, the Japanese government conceded on Monday the possible need to postpone the Olympics as Canada and Australia pulled out because of the novel coronavirus pneumonia pandemic. At a parliamentary…

How to watch Tottenham vs Norwich online and on TV tonight

Tottenham host Norwich in the FA Cup tonight as the two top-flight teams look to seal their place in the quarter-finals. Jose Mourinho’s side enter with three defeats in their last three games, desperately needing a win to rebuild momentum as the…