The Taliban instructed its fighters to refrain from entering government areas and said that Kabul forces were not allowed to enter territories under their control

The Taliban announced a three-day ceasefire during the Eid al-Fitr holiday starting Sunday in a surprise move following months of bloody fighting with Afghan forces after the group signed a landmark agreement with the US.

“The leadership instructs all the mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate to take special measures for security for the countrymen, and conduct no offensive operation against the enemy anywhere,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement posted on social media.

The Taliban statement also instructed its fighters to refrain from entering government areas and also said that Kabul forces were not allowed to enter territories under their control.

Since the US invasion in 2001 there has only been one other pause in the fighting – a surprise three-day ceasefire between the Taliban and Kabul marking the religious festival of Eid in 2018.

During the brief lull in fighting, Afghans responded joyfully, with Taliban fighters, security forces and civilians hugging, sharing ice creams and posing for selfies in previously unimaginable scenes.

Saturday’s announcement comes just days after the Taliban’s leader Haibatullah Akhundzada urged Washington “not to waste” the opportunity offered by the deal the militants signed with the United States that set the stage for the withdrawal of foreign troops from the country.

The US-Taliban deal is also aimed at paving the way for the insurgents to hold direct peace talks with Kabul.

“The Islamic Emirate is committed to the agreement … and urges the other side to honour its own commitments and not allow this critical opportunity to go to waste,” Akhundzada said in a statement, using the Taliban’s name for Afghanistan.

Analysts however say the Taliban have been emboldened by the deal with the US, and Afghan government officials have reported more than 3,800 attacks since it was signed, killing 420 civilians and wounding 906.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Palestinian killed in clashes as tensions rise over US plan

JERUSALEM — Israeli forces shot and killed a 17-year-old Palestinian during clashes with demonstrators in the West Bank on Wednesday, the first death since tensions rose following the release of President Donald Trump‘s Mideast plan, according to Palestinian officials. The…

‘One teacher refused to teach jihad. They stoned her to death’: Woman forced to work in ISIS schools reveals how staff had to focus on Koran verses about murder and war… or be killed

A teacher who was forced to work in ISIS schools has revealed how staff were told to focus on Koran verses about war and murder – and how a friend was stoned to death after refusing to teach jihad. The woman,…

Lighthizer: China trade deal ‘totally done’ and will ‘nearly double’ US exports

Lighthizer said the success of the deal, announced on Friday, will depend on whether reformers or hardliners are making decisions in Beijing He said there would be some routine ‘scrubs’ to the text and that a date and location for…

U.K. sets out ‘battle plan’ to try to contain spread of coronavirus

Britain unveiled its “battle plan” to tackle the spread of coronavirus on Tuesday, warning that as many as a fifth of employees could be off work at the peak of the outbreak. The United Kingdom has so far confirmed 51…