The Independent employs over 100 journalists around the world to bring you news you can trust. Please consider a contribution or subscription.

Tyrone Mings has thrown his support behind the Black Lives Matter movement after joining a protest in Birmingham on Thursday.

The England and Aston Villa defender was among thousands at Victoria Square protesting against racial injustice following the death of George Floyd on 25 May in Minneapolis.

Mings joined the peaceful march after Floyd was killed after a white police officer, since charged with his murder, held him down to the ground by pressing a knee on his neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

The England centre-back wore a face mask throughout the event, which had the message ‘Won’t Be Silenced’ written across it.

Mings posted pictures of himself marching along with the message: “Nothing but energy and passion today. I make no apologies for standing up for what I believe in.”

West Midlands Police confirmed there were no incidents during the protest.

A statement read: “Around 4,000 people took part in a peaceful protest around Birmingham city centre today.

“The protesters were loud and passionate, and made their voices clearly heard. There were no arrests and no disorder.”

Mings is set to feature for Villa upon the return of the Premier League with the club’s game in hand against Sheffield United scheduled for 17 June.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘I learnt it from Russian media’: IBU president Olle Dahlin says he was unaware of police raid on Russian athletes

On Saturday, Russian biathletes Alexander Loginov and Evgeny Garanichev were subjected to a search by Italian police who broke into their hotel room and seized Loginov’s personal belongings as part of an investigation into possible use of doping. READ MORE: ‘Anti-doping…

Conor McGregor agrees to fight Dustin Poirier in January – but inserts catch in latest power-play with UFC boss Dana White

Earlier this week, White said the UFC calendar was fully-booked for this year and that McGregor and Poirier would have to wait until January for a rematch of their 2014 meeting, which the notorious Dubliner won via first-round knockout.  READ…

‘We ALWAYS have room for a champion’: AC Milan want ‘fantastic’ Zlatan to STAY in Italy despite talk of impending exit

Milan fans had feared that they might not see Ibrahimovic play for them again after the Sweden legend returned to his homeland with a suspected calf injury, where he has been for almost a month with news of his progress…

Aurier and Sissoko sorry for breaking lockdown in third Spurs incident

Tottenham Hotspur footballers Serge Aurier and Moussa Sissoko have issued an apology after breaking lockdown restrictions by training together – the third time that the club’s personnel have breached government guidelines in the space of two weeks. Defender Aurier posted…