Court of Appeal judges have rejected a legal challenge over voter ID trials in last year’s local elections.

Ten local authorities took part in pilots at elections in May 2019, with voters asked to meet ID requirements to be able to cast their vote.

Neil Coughlan, 66, from Witham in Essex, crowdfunded legal action against the Government, arguing the pilots would prevent people from voting.

But in a ruling on Friday, three senior judges dismissed his appeal.

The pilots, announced by ministers in 2018, were run by the Government with a view to rolling out voter ID nationwide in future elections.

In the judgment, Lord Justice McCombe, sitting with Lords Justice Underhill and Green, said Mr Coughlan, a former district and town councillor, said he believed requirements for identification of voters at elections “tend to disenfranchise the poor and vulnerable and render it less likely that their electoral voices will be heard”.

However, he said the use of the power to test voter ID in a pilot scheme did not override the right to vote at all.

“Clearly, the right to vote at any election is an important right and courts will be vigilant to prevent the use of so-called ‘Henry VIII’ powers of this type by ministers to curtail such an important right by mere order, unless the claimed use of the power has been clearly and distinctly conferred by Parliament,” Lord Justic McCombe said.

Lord Justice Underhill said while he understood Mr Coughlan’s concerns, part of the purpose of the pilots was to establish whether there would be such an impact, and to what extent.

He also said there were “significant safeguards” because any scheme would have to be recommended by the Electoral Commission and then be approved by Parliament.

The scheme was first ruled lawful in March last year.

At the Court of Appeal in April Mr Coughlan’s lawyers argued the trials were unlawful because they went beyond the legal powers granted to ministers under the Representation of the People Act 2000, which sets out rules on the way elections are run.

The scheme was trialled in Pendle, Woking, Broxtowe, Derby, North Kesteven, Braintree, Mid Sussex, Watford and North West Leicestershire – two other councils pulled out.

In a statement after the ruling, Minister for the Constitution & Devolution Chloe Smith said: “Showing ID to vote is a reasonable approach to combating the inexcusable potential for voter fraud in our current system and strengthening its integrity.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Home owners permitted to add two extra floors

Home owners will soon be able to add an extra two floors to their houses without needing full planning permission. And developers will be able to knock down unused commercial premises and build residential units. The government said the new…

Trump to nominate Russell Vought to be OMB director amid staff shake-up

White House Budget Office acting director Russ Vought breaks down President Trump’s spending plan. The White House announced in a press release Wednesday that it would nominate Acting Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Russell Vought to lead the office as…

Lockdown work with UK ministers a struggle says FM

It is a “bit of a struggle” getting UK ministers to engage with their Welsh counterparts on how to leave lockdown, the first minister has said. Mark Drakeford said “we are preparing our own thinking” in case restrictions cannot be…

What the Buttigieg withdrawal means for Super Tuesday — and the rest of the primary contest

It’s been a turbulent few days in the contest for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination. Former vice president Joe Biden led the field for most of the past year but collapsed in national polling after unexpectedly weak showings in Iowa…