The efforts come amid Trump administration anger over the ICC’s efforts to look into alleged war crimes by US troops in Afghanistan

US State Secretary Pompeo described the ICC as “corrupt”, “grossly ineffective” and “highly politicised”

US President

on Thursday moved to further punish officials of the International Criminal Court (

), authorising economic sanctions against them as well as the expansion of visa restrictions on the officials and their families.

The president also declared a national emergency with respect to the “threat” he says the ICC poses, a move that lays legal groundwork to impose future sanctions.

The efforts come amid Trump administration anger over the ICC’s efforts to look into alleged war crimes by US troops in Afghanistan.

The United States is not a party to the international court and does not recognise its authority, and the announcement on Thursday is sure to make the court’s work harder.

The Trump administration in particular has expressed scepticism of multilateral institutions and has limited its role or withdrawn from some such bodies, most recently the World Health Organisation (WHO).

“We will not stand by as our people are threatened by a kangaroo court,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said during a press conference on Thursday.

Pompeo described the ICC as “corrupt”, “grossly ineffective”, and “highly politicised”. The court, which is based in The Hague, is on an “ideological crusade against American servicemembers”, he alleged.

The ICC condemned the US actions, defending its work and warning that the American moves also amounted to an “attack against the interests of victims of atrocity crimes, for many of whom the court represents the last hope for justice”.

Sanctions and visa restrictions are being authorised against ICC officials “directly involved” in investigations of US citizens, Pompeo said, adding that designations would be made on a case-by-case basis.

“We have responded in the way that a responsible nation must,” he said.

US Defence Secretary Mark Esper, national security adviser Robert O’Brien, and Attorney General Bill Barr echoed Pompeo, saying Trump took necessary actions to defend the sovereignty of the US.

The ICC “is little more than a political tool employed by unaccountable international elites”, Barr said at the news conference, where officials took no questions. He claimed the Justice Department had “received substantial credible information that raises serious concerns about a long history of financial corruption and malfeasance at the highest levels” of the court, which the department is now investigating, he said.

Barr also accused “foreign powers like Russia” of “manipulating the ICC in pursuit of their own agenda”, but did not elaborate.

effectively withdrew from the ICC in 2016 following a report by the body that characterised its 2014 annexation of Crimea as an occupation.

In an accompanying executive order, Trump stated that “any attempt by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute any US personnel without the consent of the United States … constitutes an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat”.

Wary of potential ICC moves against US troops, the Trump administration last year announced it would stop issuing visas to some investigators affiliated with the body, but it gave few details about the scope of the effort or how many people had been affected. The US did, however, revoke the visa of the ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda.

ICC judges in March authorised a probe into a range of alleged misdeeds in Afghanistan, including actions by Afghan government forces, US troops and the Taliban. It is believed to be the first time the court’s prosecutor has been permitted to review actions by American forces.

In its statement on the US announcement, the ICC said it “remains unwavering in its commitment to discharging, independently and impartially, the mandate bestowed upon it”.

“These attacks constitute an escalation and an unacceptable attempt to interfere with the rule of law and the court‘s judicial proceedings,” the court said. “They are announced with the declared aim of influencing the actions of ICC officials in the context of the court’s independent and objective investigations and impartial judicial proceedings.”

David Bosco, an associate professor at Indiana University who follows the ICC closely, described the Trump administration’s latest broadsides as important in the sense that it would make it harder for the court to pursue its investigation.

Now, he said, court officials considering working on the Afghan cases will have to decide whether it is worth being barred from the US or risk the freezing of any assets they might have in the US Court leaders may find it harder to recruit staff as a result, slowing down the investigation.

“It’s an additional logistical complication for the court,” Bosco said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Meeting boosts China-Arab ties amid contagion

Event rolls out specific steps for both sides to strengthen strategic partnership The COVID-19 pandemic has brought China and Arab nations much closer together through the China-Arab States Cooperation Forum and the mechanism of political parties’ dialogue as they take…

Boko Haram jihadists snatch dozens of loggers in Nigeria, killing three

‘On Friday we mobilised men and went deep into the forest where we recovered three bodies identified to be among the loggers,’ said a militia leader Boko Haram and a splinter group have killed 36,000 people in the northeast since…

‘Killer robots could take the place of soldiers’ in ‘a war triggered by a massive cyberattack’, UN Secretary-General warns, as he calls for ban on ‘machines that have the power to kill’ 

The secretary-general of the UN has warned ‘killer robots’ could replace human soldiers and called for an international ban on such war machines. Antonio Guterres said a cyberarms race was already underway and suggested that a huge cyberattack could trigger a…

Fish could still sink EU-UK deal, says Ursula von der Leyen

A clash over EU access to British fishing waters could still sink hopes of a post-Brexit trade deal, Ursula von der Leyen has said, with agreement said to be “so close but yet … so far away”. In an address…