BEIJING —
China says it never detained Indian soldiers after Indian media reports that China had released 10 of them late Thursday. Indian officials have also denied that Indian troops were in Chinese custody.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Friday that “China hasn’t seized any Indian personnel” when asked about the media reports.

The comments come as China blames India for a recent military clash at their border that left 20 people dead.

Zhao said that “the right and wrong is very clear and the responsibility lies entirely with the Indian side.”

He added that the two sides are in communication over diplomatic and military channels.

“We hope India can work with China to maintain the long-term development of bilateral relations,” he said at a daily briefing.

This week’s confrontation in the Galwan Valley, part of the disputed Ladakh region along the Himalayan frontier, was the deadliest conflict between the sides in 45 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘If a problem came up, it had to be solved straight away’

Names: Marcia and John ChurchYears together: 44Occupations: Retired Marcia Church is terrified of coronavirus. The 63-year-old and her 70-year-old husband John live in Tuncurry. A few years ago, the retired couple settled in the idyllic spot on the New South…

U.S. push for Sudan to recognize Israel falters — and puts Khartoum in a tight spot

Last week, U.S. officials held talks with Sudan in the hopes of adding it to a growing list of countries that have normalized relations with Israel, in what the Trump administration has billed as part of its Middle East peace…

Fears over DfID and Foreign Office merger to be raised in Commons

Fears that hundreds of jobs at the Department for International Development (DfID) are at risk as part of the merger with the Foreign Office will be raised in the Commons on Thursday. A campaign was also launched among aid groups…

China slams US ‘bullying’, warns of action over TikTok, WeChat

China has accused the United States of “bullying” and threatened to take “necessary” countermeasures after Washington banned downloads of the Chinese video-sharing app TikTok and effectively blocked the use of the messaging super-app WeChat. “China urges the US to abandon…