Jofra Archer will not join up with England’s behind-closed-doors training squad until Thursday after a member of the fast-bowler’s household fell ill.

Archer, and members of his household, have tested negative for Covid-19 and will undergo a second test tomorrow. Provided the result is negative, he will then join up with the training group on Thursday.

The remainder of the training squad and coaching staff arrived at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton on Tuesday afternoon to start their preparation ahead of the first Test against West Indies starting on 8 July.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

Meanwhile, England director of cricket Ashley Giles admitted it could be difficult to maintain the intensity of Test matches when playing behind closed doors.

“It will be very difficult to replicate that same intensity,” he said. “Even going into a Test when there’s no crowds that’s going to be very challenging. But it’s the same for both sides.

“It’s the circumstances we face and, as we mentioned before, there’s a bigger picture than perfect scenarios and being perfectly prepared.

“It’s very important to everyone that we get back to playing Test cricket. But I also think the players are keen as mustard to get on with it now.

“There’s definitely been some nervousness about the situation but they’re cricketers and they’re dying to get out and play some cricket.

“I’m sure when it comes down to it that when someone is trying to knock your head off at 85-90 mph you’ll find a way to get your intensity up pretty quickly from experience.”

The England players in the squad entered a “bubble” on Tuesday which will see them largely confined to the hotel and training facilities and include an inter-squad warm-up game.

“It will be down to all of us to police it,” Giles added. “The players are all very aware of the seriousness of the situation and the reason why we are putting them in.

“At some point we could have protocols within the bubble that are very very different from protocols in the general population. It is just about removing as much risk as we can.”

After the West Indies, England have plans to play Test and Twenty20 matches against Pakistan and a one-day series against Australia in September and, on the latter, Giles remained optimistic.

“We had a really good conference call with them [Australia] last week,” he said. “They’ve been one of our strongest partners for years, Australia, and it continues that way. It would be great to have them here.

“Again September is a long way away right now, and a lot could change in that time. Are we confident? Yes, quietly confident, but there’s a lot of water to pass under the bridge yet.”

However, the games against Pakistan have been thrown into doubt after 10 members of the squad tested positive for coronavirus.

The Pakistan Cricket Board announced the results from the latest round of tests on Tuesday, with Fakhar Zaman, Imran Khan, Kashif Bhatti, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Rizwan and Wahab Riaz also testing positive along with three players on Sunday.

The Pakistan squad were due to leave for Manchester on June 28 ahead of the series.

PA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Milan hold Napoli 2-2 at San Paolo

ROME – AC Milan extended their unbeaten run in Serie A to six on Sunday after they played out a 2-2 draw against Napoli at the Stadio San Paolo. Milan had showcased good form since the resumption of Serie A,…

Johnson’s road continues with IndyCar

Jimmie Johnson has signed a deal to race for Chip Ganassi Racing in the NTT IndyCar Series. The Associated Press was first to report Wednesday that Johnson is working on finalizing sponsorship for a two-year program to field Johnson in…

Decision on hub cities weeks away

As the NHL moves towards resuming play this summer, the league must first narrow down the list of hub cities. When Commissioner Gary Bettman announced the NHL’s Return to Play plan last week, he noted 10 cities in the U.S.…

‘Four of our team will be fighting’: Khabib says UFC 254 comeback will be family affair

READ MORE: ‘Different from all other preparation’: Khabib talks of ‘hard’ training ahead of Gaethje clash & first fight since father’s death Khabib will make the third defence of his UFC lightweight title against top contender Gaethje later this year and ahead…