The Clarets couldn’t fill an entire nine-man bench during their game at Manchester City recently, due to uncertainty surrounding those senior players.
And in his pre-match press conference ahead of Burnley’s game at home to Watford on Thursday, the manager acknowledged that Jeff Hendrick headlines the list of players who will depart.
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines
Premier League teams had been given until last night to seal short-term extensions with players whose deals were due to run out on 30 June, but Burnley will now see out the rest of the season with inexperienced youngsters making up the numbers.
Along with Hendrick, Joe Hart, Aaron Lennon and Adam Legzdins will all depart.
Speaking to the media, Dyche spoke of his enormous “respect” for several of his outgoing players, as well as noting that Hendrick had turned down an offer to extend his contract.
“Yes, he Hendrick] will be leaving,” Dyche said. ”As will Joe Hart, Aaron Lennon, Adam Legzdins.
“I have spoke to [Lennon] at length of the respect I have for him and what they have done for the club. It’s the same with Jeff.
“I have nothing but utmost respect for how hard they have worked for the club.
“[The contract offer] wasn’t up to what Jeff and his advisers thought was appropriate.”
Dyche explained how the board came to their decision over not renewing the players’ deals, suggesting that finances shouldn’t have been an issue – and that the board want him to look to the future.
“I know the finances, I can’t sign contracts and I can only advise. I can’t physically sign them players. If once in every seven and a half years I have to question the board, then I’m proud of that.
“We’re not in any financial difficulties, that’s for sure. We’re a very well ran club. The board have made decisions and I have said earlier, for me to question the board after seven and half years tells you a lot.
“I just felt on this occasion it was advice given a long time ago, to foresee these challenges and they could probably have been sorted a lot sooner.
“We’re in a good place financially, so that’s probably why it is so surprising.”
However, despite the board’s wishes to see youngsters emerge, the manager is not yet convinced that some of them at the club are prepared for top-level action.
“They’re not ready yet. They’re good young pros who want to make good careers, but they haven’t had the relative experience yet.
“That’s why we’ve been stretched, because the chairman wants me to introduce the young players in and integrate them, but we don’t want to rush them in.
“Walking round the Etihad is a valuable experience.”
One positive came as Dyche confirmed that Phil Bardsley should return to the squad, however, having agreed an extension with the club.