The 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 on Aug. 23 will be held before a crowd limited to 50 percent capacity, the track announced Friday.

In a letter to season ticket holders, the track said it expects to accommodate “at least 50 percent of original ticket quantities.” The track will take requests for more than 50 percent but might move fans to another location because of social distancing requirements.

The track also encouraged ticket holders older than 65 to consider staying home, according to CDC guidelines.

Track president Doug Boles said in a release that the track is “finalizing a number of additional carefully considered health and safety measures. We’ll unveil the specific details of our comprehensive plan in the coming weeks.”

Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Roger Penske previously had said he wanted to have a full crowd for the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 on Aug. 23 (which will be broadcast on NBC).

In a “Coffee With Kyle” sitdown on Jan. 31, Penske told Kyle Petty that Indianapolis Motor Speedway had 230,000 seats, and that 78 percent of its ticket allotment had been sold, including all of the track’s suites.

Here’s the release from IMS:

Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials confirmed June 26 their commitment to welcoming spectators to the 104th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge on Sunday, Aug. 23, with the venue capacity limited to 50 percent attendance.

“The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” was postponed from its original date of Sunday, May 24 due to the COVID-19 health crisis.

“We’re committed to running the Indy 500 on Sunday, Aug. 23 and will welcome fans to the world’s greatest racing venue,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “We will be limiting attendance to approximately 50 percent of venue capacity, and we are also finalizing a number of additional carefully considered health and safety measures. We’ll unveil the specific details of our comprehensive plan in the coming weeks.”

IMS is communicating with existing ticketholders to learn of their intent to use their race tickets. Credits will be available for ticketholders who choose to adjust their order. Individuals in high-risk groups are encouraged to consider staying home and returning in 2021. In close consultation with public health officials, the IMS team is also working diligently to finalize a comprehensive plan of health measures that will be unveiled for spectators in the near future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘Free men don’t ask permission’: New Jersey gym owner DEFIES Covid closure orders despite facing ‘$1.2 MILLION in fines’ (VIDEO)

Smith, who co-owns Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, has been operating as normal for large parts of 2020 despite the ongoing Covid-19 situation decimating large sections of the economy, and has refused to co-operate with shutdown orders put in place designed at…

Brighton edge Norwich closer to relegation

Brighton beat Norwich 1-0 at Carrow Road on Saturday to all but secure their Premier League safety and push Norwich closer towards a prompt return to the second-tier. [ MORE: New PL TV schedule ] Leandro Trossard swept home the…

NFL player wielded GUN and ‘threatened to kill everybody’ during poker game row over ‘alleged sexual assault of four-year-old son’

Latimer’s best friend, who hosted the poker night at his home, said the Washington Redskins player had snapped during a game, rowed with another guest, left the house and then returned half an hour later carrying a firearm and threatening to…

‘Defenders kick the sh*t out of you and are built like wardrobes’: Higuan warns Messi about heading to England

Messi is reportedly pondering a Nou Camp exit after suffering the humiliation of an 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in their Champions League quarterfinal – a result which has already claimed the scalps of manager Quique Setien and sporting director Eric…