Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

Four men who were sentenced to life in prison for the death of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl but were later exonerated will remain in prison for three more months, officials said Thursday.

MAN WHO BEHEADED US JOURNALIST DANIEL PEARL TO BE FREED FROM PAKISTANI PRISON

Just a day before the announcement, Pakistan’s Supreme Court upheld Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh’s overturned conviction for murder and paved the way for his release as early as this week.

But the superintendent of Karachi Central Prison, Hasan Sehtoo, said Thursday that Sheikh and three others will remain in custody until Sept. 30 under a law that allows authorities to detain any suspect for up to one year. He said the order claims the men’s release would threaten public safety.

Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, the alleged mastermind behind Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl’s abduction, arrives March 29, 2002 at the provincial high court in Karachi, Pakistan. (Photo by Getty Images)

The three other men – Fahad Naseem, Sheikh Adil and Salman Saqib – were acquitted of their charges in April due to lack of evidence but remained in prison through a 90-day extension to accommodate for the ongoing court proceedings, which expired on July 1.

Pearl, 38, was the WSJ’s bureau chief for South Asia and was in Pakistan reporting on extremism following the 9/11 attacks when he was kidnapped and beheaded in January 2002.

In this April 15, 2007, file photo, Dr. Judea Pearl, father of American journalist Daniel Pearl, who was killed by terrorists in 2002, speaks in Miami Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File)

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP 

The kidnapping charge against the British-born Sheikh was the only one that still held after review by the Sindh High Court and carried a sentence of seven years. At that point, he had already spent 18 years in prison on death row and his seven-year sentence for kidnapping was counted as time served.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘Air terrorism’: Iran rages at US F-15s shadowing its commercial aircraft over Syria

On July 25, as Mahan Airlines’ Airbus A310 was en route from Tehran to Beirut, Iran said a pair of US F-15 fighter jets approached the aircraft in Syrian airspace. The Airbus ultimately touched down safely in Beirut but several…

‘We see nothing alarming,’ says Norwegian drugs regulator, after 13 deaths linked to Pfizer vaccine jabs

Norway launched its Covid-19 immunization program on December 27, including residents of nursing homes on the priority list. Since then, 23 people have died shortly after receiving the injections. Norwegian medics are evaluating all such cases and have linked 13…

Vatican arrests Italian businessman over London property deal

The Independent employs over 100 journalists around the world to bring you news you can trust. Please consider a contribution or subscription. An Italian businessman has been arrested by Vatican police as part of an investigation into a controversial London…

Coronavirus: Global cases pass 50 million as Europe locks down

Portugal has become the latest European country to issue restrictions amid an aggressive second wave of the coronavirus pandemic. It comes as the global total of COVID-19 cases passed 50 million on Sunday, according to Johns Hopkins University (JHU). “The…