China’s ambassador to India said Friday that Indian and Chinese front-line troops are disengaging in accordance with an agreement reached by military commanders following a clash last month that left at least 20 soldiers dead in the Galwan Valley.

Ambassador Sun Weidong said in video remarks released in New Delhi that the two countries should be partners rather than rivals and handle differences properly to bring their ties back on the right track.

“Why should we fight against each other, which will only hurt those close to us and gladden the foes?” he said.

Indian officials say a standoff between the two armies began in early May when large contingents of Chinese soldiers entered deep inside Indian-controlled territory at three places in Ladakh, a disputed region along the Himalayan frontier.

The situation turned deadly when the rival troops engaged in hand-to-hand fighting in the Galwan Valley, where India is building a strategic road connecting the region to an airstrip close to China.

India says 20 of its soldiers were killed and there were casualties on the Chinese side as well, which Beijing has not disclosed.

As part of an understanding reached in a series of meetings between army commanders from the two sides, soldiers have started pulling back at some points in the troubled area.

The Chinese envoy said the boundary question remains sensitive and complicated.

“We need to find a fair and reasonable solution mutually acceptable through equal consultation and peaceful negotiation. Pending an ultimate settlement, we both agree to work together to maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas,” he said.

The disputed border covers about 3,500 kilometres of frontier that the two countries call the Line of Actual Control and stretches from Ladakh in the north to the Indian state of Sikkim in the northeast.

India and China fought a border war in 1962 that also spilled into Ladakh.

The two countries have been trying to settle their border dispute since the early 1990s, without success.

Senior foreign ministry officials of the two countries through video conferencing on Friday reviewed the progress made in ongoing disengagement process by the two armies at the disputed border that the two countries call the Line Of Actual Control.

The sides reaffirmed that they “will ensure complete disengagement of the troops along the Line of Actual Control and de-escalation from India-China border areas for full restoration of peace and tranquility” in accordance with bilateral agreements and protocols, said a statement issued by India’s External Affairs Ministry.

The U.S., engaged in disputes with China on a number of economic and political fronts, has sided with its ally in the dispute.

“The Chinese took incredibly aggressive action. The Indians have done their best to respond to that,” U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in his weekly briefing with reporters on Wednesday.

“I’d put this in the context of General Secretary Xi Jinping and his behaviour throughout the region, and indeed, throughout the world.

“From the mountain ranges of the Himalayas to the waters of Vietnam’s Exclusive Zone, to the Senkaku Islands, and beyond, Beijing has a pattern of instigating territorial disputes. The world shouldn’t allow this bullying to take place, nor should it permit it to continue,” said Pompeo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

US trading halted as stock market plummets amid coronavirus fear

The stock market took a significant dive on Monday morning amid growing fears of the coronavirus and a potential oil war, forcing Wall Street to halt trading.  DOW Jones Industrial Average dropped more than 1,800 points when the market opens this morning.…

Why is this government so eager to strip people like Shamima Begum of their citizenship?

Can the government continue to abdicate responsibility for Brits held in north-east Syria accused of association with Islamic State? The answer is no, according to the court of appeal, which this week ordered the government to return 20-year-old Shamima Begum…

‘Super-spreaders’ of COVID-19 misinformation on Facebook identified

Dozens of popular Facebook pages are publishing, repeating and sharing false stories about the new coronavirus across Europe, a new report has found. NewsGuard, an analytics firm which tracks misinformation, investigated 36 Facebook pages, which it describes as “super-spreaders” of…

Trump follows Iran threat with bizarre tweet about mixed martial arts

Donald Trump has posted a bizarre tweet about mixed martial arts in the middle of a threatening screed towards Iran. After posting a series of tweets suggesting that Iran could pay “a very BIG PRICE” for what he alleged was…