The RCMP’s national security team has charged a Quebec man with advocating genocide, a first in the province’s history, according to a police news release, after he allegedly left “disturbing posts” online directed at the prime minister and the Muslim community.
André Audet, 62, of Boucherville, faces a list of charges in connection with the alleged threats.
“The investigators identified approximately one hundred hate posts, threats and/or posts inciting violence in the targeted accounts. For example, the accused called for the death of Justin Trudeau and encouraged the eradication of Muslims,” said a statement from the RCMP Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET).
“It is presumed that André Audet used a variety of pseudonyms on a number of social media networks.”
Audet previously appeared in court in December 2019 in relation to the same investigation, but new charges will be laid today, said police.
The RCMP said Audet is expected to appear at the Longueuil courthouse today.
Monday’s news comes more than a week after a man allegedly breached the grounds at Rideau Hall with multiple loaded firearms and uttered a threat against Trudeau.