Brighton banished any lingering Premier League relegation fears by grinding out a goalless draw at home to Newcastle United to guarantee safety.

Albion controlled possession against the Magpies but neither side seriously threatened to break the deadlock during a dour encounter which had a distinctly end-of-season feel.

The Seagulls have been well placed to extend their top-flight adventure to a fourth campaign for a number of weeks, although manager Graham Potter had steadfastly refused to celebrate survival until it was mathematically certain.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

Monday evening’s stalemate moved Potter’s men seven points clear of 18th-placed Aston Villa – who have two fixtures remaining – to end a run of three successive home losses.

Leandro Trossard and Adam Webster went closest to a breakthrough for the hosts, while Dwight Gayle and substitute Andy Carroll wasted Newcastle’s best opportunities by each heading off target from corners.

For the 13th-placed Magpies, the battling point prevented them suffering four consecutive losses for the first time since May 2018.

Brighton were back at the Amex Stadium following resounding home defeats to Manchester City, champions Liverpool, and Manchester United in which they conceded 11 times in total.

There was little sign of their defence being breached during an uneventful first half in the Sussex sunshine.

Newcastle goalkeeper Martin Dubravka produced routine saves from Albion captain Lewis Dunk and Belgian winger Trossard, while Albion keeper Mathew Ryan remained untested.

The Magpies had been targeting a top-half finish less than three weeks ago.

But they have endured an unwelcome late-season slump amid mounting injury problems, prolonged takeover uncertainty, and continued speculation about the future of manager Steve Bruce.

After winning 1-0 at Southampton just before lockdown and thumping struggling Bournemouth 4-1 at the start of the month, the visitors were hoping a return to the south coast would prompt an upturn in their ailing fortunes.

Striker Gayle had Newcastle’s only chance of the opening 45 minutes, heading on to the roof of the net from a Jonjo Shelvey corner in added time. Ryan was finally forced into action six minutes after the restart when he turned away a low effort from Miguel Almiron.

Brighton were unbeaten in the previous five Premier League meetings with their opponents. They had to wait until the 76th minute for another sight of goal when Webster’s thumping drive from distance was tipped over by Dubravka.

Newcastle could have snatched victory four minutes from time but, after rising above Shane Duffy from Matt Ritchie’s corner, former England striker Carroll directed his close-range header wide of the left post as the disappointing contest ended all-square.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘The heart & soul of the the team’: Tributes pour in from England legends including Beckham after World Cup winner Stiles dies

In a statement, Stiles’ family said: “The Stiles family are sad to announce that Nobby Stiles passed away peacefully today surrounded by his family after a long illness. “The family kindly ask for privacy at this sad time.” The midfielder…

Taxing times: Messi, Ronaldo & other big-name stars facing big wage hits due to coronavirus chaos

As football attendances have plummeted to zero across the continent, clubs of all statures have been forced to reevaluate the gargantuan salaries that they pay to their top stars. Smaller, less financially secure clubs have, in some cases, been forced…

‘I ask God that the deceased by blessed’: Khabib manager reacts to the passing of Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov

Dominance MMA head Abdelaziz, the man partly responsible for guiding the career of undefeated UFC champion Khabib, has join in on the chorus of mixed martial arts figures paying tribute to Abdulmanap, whose death as a result of complications from…

‘Biggest MMA bet we’ve ever seen’: Punter backs UFC star Amanda Nunes with $1 MILLION wager

Nunes dominated gutsy Canadian challenger Felicia Spencer for the full five rounds to claim a lopsided decision victory in their main event behind closed doors at the UFC’s Apex facility, ensuring the 32-year-old made history as the first person ever…