Belgium is set to become the latest country added to England’s quarantine list after a rise in Covid-19 cases meaning arrivals will have to isolate for 14 days.

The Guardian understands that officials at the Department for Transport (DfT) are finalising the announcement of the move but that the current plan is that measures are not due to come into effect until the weekend.

The government is expected to change Foreign Office guidance, which issues travel advice separately, for Belgium at the same time.

Belgium, which has endured one of the highest per capita coronavirus death rates in the world with more than 9,800 fatalities out of a population of about 11 million, announced a series of further restrictive measures last month to curb the spread of the virus. It has suffered a resurgence of the virus, with the country passing 70,000 Covid-19 cases this week.

Luxembourg was last week restored to the list of countries requiring travellers to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in England because of a surge in coronavirus cases in the country, six days after the same demand was reimposed on arrivals from Spain, prompting chaos for holidaymakers.

The Daily Mail reported that ministers met on Wednesday to sign off the move to impose restrictions on arrivals from Belgium, with measures due to come into force at midnight or on Thursday.

However, the Guardian understands that the DfT initially planned to impose restrictions on arrivals from Belgium from the early hours of Tuesday but amid fast-moving developments behind the scenes, plans have since been moved forward meaning they are likely to come into effect from Sunday. It was not immediately clear why there is to be a delay in the imposition of the measures. The DfT provided no comment when asked by the Guardian about the plans.

Germany this week added Belgium’s Antwerp province, in the north of the country, to its list of Covid-19 risk zones requiring travellers arriving from the region to quarantine for 14 days unless they can produce a negative coronavirus test.

On Wednesday, 225 staff were sent home to quarantine at one of Belgium’s biggest meat processing plants, Westvlees, after the emergence of a cluster of Covid-19 cases. Reports said 18 staff at the plant, in West Flanders, tested positive for the disease.

On 27 July, Belgium unveiled new restrictive measures to stem the spread of the virus and prevent a return to nationwide lockdown. The prime minister, Sophie Wilmès, announced from 29 July, a family or household would only be able to meet five other people, down from 15. Meanwhile, the numbers allowed to attend public events inside were halved to 100 inside and 200 outside. Consumers will have to shop alone and people should work from home as much as possible, Wilmès added. “If we cannot reduce the coronavirus, it will be a collective failure,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Dennis Quaid breaks from Hollywood pack, praises Trump, faces immediate scorn

In an interview with The Daily Beast meant to promote his upcoming podcast — ‘The Dennissance’ — actor Dennis Quaid found himself in a political argument where he was doing something almost no one in Hollywood does — defending the…

EU Brexit trade demands won’t change to suit UK, Brussels says

The European Union’s Brexit trade demands will not change under UK pressure, Michel Barnier’s senior advisor has said – with just one month to go to agree an extension. Stefaan de Rynck told an online conference that member states had…

Miranda Devine blames de Blasio, bail-reform laws for troubling rise in NYC murders: It’s a ‘free for all’

Liberal mayors have emptied jails and allowed criminals and drug addicts to colonize the streets, New York Post columnist Miranda Devine says. Bail-reform laws and other policies backed by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, which have helped clear out…

‘Just leave’: Afghanistan withdrawal is no-brainer, but ‘deep state’ controls US foreign policy, says ex-Virginia lawmaker

The week-long ceasefire agreement between the two foes appears to be holding, and could pave the way for further negotiations that could lead to a withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan – some 20 years after the US invasion in…