Zabit, who remains undefeated in his UFC run thus far, had been scheduled to face the exciting Mexican striker on August 29 before it was announced in recent days that the injury bug had scuppered the fight.

READ MORE: ‘UFC playing games’ or ‘Yair has no balls?’ Shots fired as Zabit Magomedsharipov reacts to Yair Rodriguez’s injury withdrawal

This was a disappointment for the 29-year-old Russian ahead of what would have been the most high-profile fight of his career, robbing him of an opportunity to state his case to be considered as the next title challenger in a division in which championship fights have been dominated by Jose Aldo, Max Holloway and Volkanovski for the past three years. 

UFC president Dana White has suggested to the media that a THIRD fight between Holloway and Volkanovski could be next, given the razor-close margins of their second meeting earlier this summer – but Zabit is keen to remind that there is an array of fresh blood at 145lbs awaiting an opportunity. 

I’m waiting for you,” Zabit tweeted at the Australian world champion, to which he was told that Volkanovski doesn’t consider himself a replacement and said that he hopes that they can fight later this year – with Zabit suggesting October.

“I am the champ, not the replacement fighter,” Volkanovski responded.

“But I hope you find a matchup ASAP then chances are I see you later this year.”

That prompted a response from Zabit, who offered matchup in the fall, “Let’s do it in October Champ.”

Of course, this type of social media matchmaking doesn’t always align with the UFC’s strategy. UFC president Dana White has stated that he is seeking an alternate opponent for Zabit to compete in August, with both Renato Moicano and former Zabit opponent Calvin Kattar announcing their candidacy.

Magomedsharipov previously defeated Kattar via unanimous three-round decision in Moscow last November in a fight where critics suggested that Zabit didn’t display the type of cardiovascular excellence that one usually associates with a championship-caliber UFC fighter.

Zabit, meanwhile, appears itching to prove this theory incorrect – and what better way to do it than against the champion himself?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Djokovic DQ displays US Open’s disgraceful double standards as angry SJW ‘wokeness’ is celebrated but aggression admonished

READ MORE: ‘So unintended. So wrong’: Djokovic apologizes for hitting line judge with ball after US Open disqualification Novak Djokovic is probably used to his forehand being the talk of the sports world. Such is his supreme skill, that goes…

Makur Maker commits to Howard

Five-star forward Makur Maker, the younger brother of Thon Maker, announced early on Friday morning that he has committed to play his college basketball at Howard. Maker is the highest-rated player to commit to a historically Black college or university…

Xinjiang’s center Zhou defends CBA Player of the Week honor

  BEIJING – Xinjiang Flying Tigers center Zhou Qi claimed the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) Player of the Week award for the third straight week on Sunday. Nanjing Monkey Kings guard Joseph Young stood out among the overseas players for…

Chelsea sweat on Kante injury as top four race heats up

N’Golo Kante has picked up a hamstring problem and could miss Chelsea’s Premier League trip to Crystal Palace. The France midfielder trudged out of Chelsea’s 3-0 win over Watford, and could now sit out Tuesday’s trip to Selhurst Park. Olivier…