The Trump administration will not allow TikTok to continue its current tactics of collecting sweeping amounts of data about Americans, said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who warned the Chinese-owned firm his department has the power to end the practice.

Donald Trump “has made perfectly clear, it’s not going to continue with this in this form,” Mr Mnuchin said of the US president, who has threatened to shut down TikTok’s American operations. The Treasury chief, however, declined to comment on Microsoft’s efforts to buy the social media application during a CNBC interview.

Mr Trump last week signed executive orders that would ban TikTok and WeChat from operating in the United States unless they are sold by their Chinese owners.

Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

The TikTok-specific order states the application would be shut down in the US without “any transaction by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, with ByteDance Ltd.”

TikTok “automatically captures vast swaths of information from its users,” including search history and location, states Mr Trump’s order.

What’s more, allowing TikTok to continue operating in the US “threatens to allow the Chinese Communist Party access to Americans’ personal and proprietary information – potentially allowing China to track the locations of Federal employees and contractors, build dossiers of personal information for blackmail, and conduct corporate espionage.”

To that end, Mr Mnuchin last week told reporters the administration was conducting a national security review of TikTok’s US operation.

Some US big tech officials, like Facebook head Mark Zuckerberg, are warning Mr Trump to opt against banning TikTok. They claim a ban would set a dangerous precedent for other social media platforms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Dozens killed in fresh wave of violence in Nigeria

(CNN)Dozens of people were killed in a spate of attacks in northwestern Nigeria suspected to have been carried out by militia groups targeting communities in the southern Kaduna state, local government officials told CNN. The sporadic attacks have gripped the…

Nigeria to ease lockdowns in three states over six-week period

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigeria will ease coronavirus lockdowns in three states over a six-week period from May 4, the head of the country’s task force on the virus said on Wednesday. The easing of restrictions in Lagos, Abuja and Ogun…

Italian referendum on parliament size heading towards ‘yes’

Italians turned out in their droves to vote in regional elections and on a referendum that could cut the number of lawmakers by a third, despite the coronavirus pandemic and strict hygiene protocols at all polling stations. Exit polls suggested…

Final warning: St. Petersburg governor threatens ‘severe restrictions’ if locals don’t abide by Covid-19 prevention measures

The head of the city’s administration, Alexander Beglov, called on locals to respect the measures already in force, such as wearing masks and gloves, saying “if we do not fully comply with the requirements of epidemic safety, if we do…