McGregor announced in June that he was retiring from the UFC, citing a lack of excitement at the potential options on offer. 

That followed a comeback victory for McGregor in January in which he defeated Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone just 40 seconds into their welterweight bout in Las Vegas. 

The Irishman, 32, has now lifted the lid on what he says were failed efforts to kickstart his ‘season’ following the Cerrone bout, sharing what appeared to be screenshots of conversations with UFC boss Dana White. 

“3 weeks post my last record breaking event, I was campaigning for another blockbuster McGregor event to take place. Sad about my season I must say,” McGregor tweeted. 

The Notorious added that he had ‘never turned down’ the chance to face lightweight contender Tony Ferguson as a step-in for the American’s ill-fated bout with Khabib Nurmagomedov, and had made clear from as early as February that he wanted his own event “in LA in May or something” to “blow the socks off the place.” 

McGregor added: “I was pushing hard for the season. Multiple opponents, multiple dates offered throughout. All to take place back to back. Then when covid hit and the talk was that I would have to wait for crowds again, I walked away from the situation. I was waiting long enough at that stage.”

McGregor then dropped the bombshell claim that he was planning to face eight-division world boxing champion Pacquiao in a contest in the Middle East. 

“Anyway all water under the bridge who gives a fook. I’m boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East,” he tweeted.  

Fans will treat the tweets with skepticism given the nature of McGregor’s frequent bluster on social media, although he has previously signaled his interest in facing the 41-year-old boxing icon.

Earlier this year, McGregor tweeted “I accept” in Pacquiao’s native Filipino, which many saw as a hint that he had trained his sights on a showdown. 

McGregor and Pacquiao share the same manager, Audie Attar, who is reported to have said that the pair are in talks to fight, although nothing is confirmed.

McGregor famously swapped MMA for boxing in 2017 when he met Floyd Mayweather in one of the most lucrative fights of all time in Las Vegas.

McGregor put up a showing which surprised many before being stopped in the 10th round by the undefeated former five-weight world champion.

However, Pacquiao’s fitness coach Justin Fortune has warned that the outcome would be very different were he to face the Filipino. 

READ MORE: ‘He would OBLITERATE him’: Pacquiao coach says bout with ‘bum’ Conor McGregor would end far more swiftly than Mayweather fight

Pacquiao was last in action in July of 2019 when he defeated Keith Thurman via split decision to win the WBA (Super) welterweight title and become the oldest champion in the history of the division. 

“Manny will destroy Conor McGregor inside three rounds. He will obliterate him too fast and too strong as an amazing fighter. McGregor is nothing,” Fortune told The Manila Times

“I mean, my God, this is boxing, we are boxers. McGregor is an MMA guy and we can’t do MMA, and he can’t box, that’s very simple.”

If what McGregor says is true, we may have the chance to find out. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Predicting how West Ham vs Wolves will play out

Wolves travel to West Ham United on Saturday afternoon as Nuno Espirito Santo’s side look to continue their pursuit of a European spot. Having gone undefeated in their last five league games prior to the enforced break, Wolves trail fourth-placed…

Surprises, disappointments in Carolina

With the 2019-20 NHL season on hold we are going to review where each NHL team stands at this moment until the season resumes. Here we take a look at the surprises and disappointments for the Carolina Hurricanes. From an…

Previously on the Premier League… the stories that must be concluded

The Independent employs over 100 journalists around the world to bring you news you can trust. Please consider a contribution or subscription. It didn’t quite end on a cliff-hanger, but was starting to bring a few big storylines together. There…

Gauff eliminated from french Open

PARIS (AP) — American teenager Coco Gauff’s French Open debut ended in the second round after she double-faulted 19 times in a 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 loss to 159th-ranked qualifier Martina Trevisan. Gauff double-faulted twice in the last game of the…