Two suspects had been arrested in connection with the attack which is being investigated by anti-terrorism police

Fourteen people went on trial on September 2, accused of being accomplices in the attack on the magazine’s offices in 2015 that killed 12

At least two people were stabbed on Friday near the former offices of the

satirical magazine in Paris that was attacked by Islamist militants over five years ago, in an incident anti-terrorism police were investigating.

Paris police said one person had been arrested. France Info radio said a second suspect was also in custody.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex had earlier said four people had been stabbed, but a police source later told Reuters the number of people wounded was two, one of them seriously.

“I was in my office. I heard screams in the road. I looked out of the window and saw a woman who was lying on the floor and had taken a whack in the face from what was possibly a machete,” a witness told Europe 1 radio.

“I saw a second neighbour on the floor and I went to help.”

Paris police said one person had been arrested near the Bastille opera house. Europe 1 quoted police officials as saying the suspect was 18 and known to security services.

One police source said a machete had been found at the scene. Another police sources said a meat cleaver had been found there.

The national anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said it was investigating the case.

Fourteen people went on trial in Paris on September 2, accused of being accomplices in the attack on the Charlie Hebdo offices in January 2015 that killed 12 people.

The court heard that they had sought to avenge the Prophet Mohammad, nearly a decade after the weekly published cartoons mocking him.

Police moved Charlie Hebdo’s head of Human Resources from her home this week after threats against her life.

On Friday, TV footage showed ambulances, fire trucks and police cordoning off the area around Charlie Hebdo’s former offices.

Local authorities asked people to avoid the area and said a police operation was under way in a northeastern district of Paris. Deputy mayor Emmanuel Gregoire tweeted that police were hunting a “potentially dangerous” individual.

The Paris metro closed lines in the area and schoolchildren were initially kept inside in an area around the attack, a city hall official said.

France has experienced a wave of attacks by Islamist militants in recent years.

Bombings and shootings in November 2015 at the Bataclan theatre and other sites around Paris killed 130 people, and in July 2016 an Islamist militant drove a truck through a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, killing 86.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

If coronavirus scares you, read this to take control over your health anxiety

When news of the coronavirus broke at the end of last year, and as the stories from the outbreak became more alarming overtime, I found myself wondering how health anxiety sufferers were coping. You see, I used to be one.…

Pope Francis holds 1st public audience in 6 months

Pope Francis held his weekly general audience in public for the first time in six months on Wednesday, smiling and chatting as he re-emerged from the constraints of the coronavirus lockdown. The audience, at which the Pope announced a day…

EU rebukes US over travel ban

Outbreak requires cooperation, not unilateral actions, bloc’s leaders say The European Union has condemned the decision by US President Donald Trump to halt travel from Europe’s Schengen Area to the United States in a bid to combat the country’s outbreak…

Tammy Bruce: Hypocritical Dems ignore Biden sexual assault allegations, but embraced Kavanaugh accuser

Newly-resurfaced video from decades ago lends support to allegations against Joe Biden; insight from journalist Rich McHugh. A newly surfaced explosive but unproven allegation of a 1993 sexual assault by then-Sen. Joe Biden is being ignored and denied by Democrats –…