Perry was responding to news that McGregor is set for a return to the boxing ring against Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East next year.

READ MORE: PAC-MAC is ON! Manny Pacquiao camp ‘CONFIRM deal is being made’ for Conor McGregor boxing bout

The American, who adopts the moniker ‘Platinum’, is also hoping to swap the octagon for the ring after he has faced Robbie Lawler at UFC 255, which is expected to take place in Las Vegas on November 21, and said McGregor would be the perfect dance partner.

Welterweight Perry will be aiming for successive wins for the first time since 2017, while Lawler has lost his past four outings.

“I wanna tucking box Connor [sic]. I’m 0-1 in boxing same as him and after I box @Ruthless_RL head in I feel like it would be a hell of a match up. The two baddest whiteboys. American, Irish match…” Perry tweeted.

It is somewhat surprising that Perry is so keen for a return to the “sweet science”.

He was knocked out in his only professional contest against compatriot Kenneth McNeil in Florida in 2015.

However, it is unlikely Perry’s ambitious attempt to lure The Notorious into a boxing match will cause too much of a stir in the McGregor camp.

After all, he has far bigger fish to fry in the form of boxing icon Pacquaio.

In a string of tweets on Friday, McGregor detailed the exchanges with UFC president Dana White that led to the Irishman announcing his third “retirement” from UFC and a possible boxing return.

Citing a lack of potential contests available to him, McGregor tweeted: “Anyway all water under the bridge who gives a fook. I’m boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East.”

“It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight,” added the Irishman, alluding to his mega bout against five-weight world champion Floyd Mayweather in 2017, which was one of the biggest-grossing fights in boxing history.

McGregor lasted longer than many anticipated against the undefeated American legend before being stopped in the 10th round.

Negotiations could be relatively smooth between McGregor and Pacquiao as they share the same manager, Audie Attar, while the UFC is understood to be “on board” with the match-up.

Pacquiao has already promised to donate a chunk of his fight purse to Filipino Covid-19 victims.

“For the sake of all the Filipino Covid-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will be fighting UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year,” Pacquiao’s special assistant Jayke Joson said on Friday.

“The huge portion of his earning will proceed to those who are affected nationwide by the pandemic. Our lawyers are finalizing all the confidential details, but both fighters are getting ready for this one epic last boxing fight.”

Since suffering a controversial points defeat to Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane in 2017, Pacquiao has shown no signs of being shopworn, defeating Lucas Matthysse and Adrien Broner before becoming the oldest champion in the history of the division when he beat Keith Thurman to win the WBA (Super) welterweight title in July of last year.

Fans, meanwhile, seemed equally nonplussed by Perry’s calls for a boxing contest with McGregor, with one citing both men’s altercations with elderly men. 

McGregor pleaded guilty to punching a man in the face at the Marble Arch Pub in Dublin in April of last year, while Perry was seen striking an elderly man in a Texas restaurant back in July. 

“You both beat up old men so makes sense,” wrote one fan in reply to Perry’s callout of McGregor. 

“Pretty sure he doesn’t know who you are,” added another mockingly. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Sun shines for Verstappen to finally expose Mercedes’s vulnerability

It would be no surprise if the first thing that Toto Wolff did on Monday morning was check the weather forecast for Barcelona next weekend. After watching Red Bull’s Max Verstappen beat his two Mercedes to victory in Sunday’s 70th…

‘I don’t think he’s got Covid’: Beaten Whyte makes farcical Povetkin rematch claim as Russian’s team vow to prove he had virus

Desperate also-ran Whyte’s hopes of immediately reviving his title ambitions were scuppered when Povetkin, who produced a knockout of the year contender when he poleaxed his rival in the UK, revealed he was suffering from Covid-19 earlier this month. Whyte has…

2020 Season in Review: Denny Hamlin

CREW CHIEF: Chris Gabehart TEAM: Joe Gibbs Racing POINTS: Fourth in NASCAR Cup Series WINS: Seven (Daytona 500, Darlington II, Homestead-Miami, Pocono II, Kansas I, Dover I, Talladega II) LAPS LED: 1,083 TOP 5s: 18 TOP 10s: 21 POLES: Three (Homestead-Miami, Talladega II, Charlotte Roval) WHAT WENT…

Notre Dame ‘in a very good place’

Notre Dame’s most-recent wave of tests had not all come in yet when Irish head coach Brian Kelly met with media via Zoom early Monday afternoon. A week ago, that kind of delay would have sparked immense paranoia about No.…