Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

Just days after President Trump nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to fill the seat vacated after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a new Monmouth University poll found there to be a divide among voters when it comes to a president filling a vacant Supreme Court seat at the end of their term.

The poll, which was released on Monday, showed 47 percent approval for filling the seat, while 49 percent believe Trump should put his nomination to the high court on hold until after Election Day.

Ginsburg passed away earlier this month from complications related to pancreatic cancer. She was 87.

Public sentiment has shifted since the death of Justice Antonin Scalia in 2016. Back then 67 percent of the country thought the Senate should fully vet a nominee after he died, and only 39 percent of respondents wanted to see a delay.

HAWLEY WARNS SCHUMER NOT TO CRITICIZE BARRETT OVER RELIGION DURING SCOTUS HEARING

In addition, the poll showed 83 percent of Republicans wanting the process with Barrett to move forward, despite only 36 percent of GOP voters feeling this way back when Barack Obama was president.

Republicans have continued to push the narrative that because the Senate and White House were controlled by different parties in 2016, it was the will of the people to have friction within the divided government.

With the 2018 midterm elections increasing the GOP majority in the Senate, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he felt justified in forging ahead with Barrett’s nomination.

Only 16 percent of Democrats approve of considering a nominee at this time, although 74 percent felt that way in 2016 when their party’s president controlled the executive branch.

Independents were steady, with 48 percent saying a nomination late in the president’s term can — and should — be considered.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Pompeo says State Dept. has repatriated more than 50,000 US citizens since coronavirus breakout

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox.  Sign up here. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Wednesday that the government has brought home more than 50,000 Americans who have been stranded abroad since the…

Trump planning to host 1st in-person event at White House on Saturday: Sources

President Donald Trump is scheduled to host his first in-person event since testing positive for the coronavirus on Saturday at the White House discussing “law and order,” despite evidence of a growing coronavirus outbreak at the White House this week.…

Trump’s demand for payroll tax cut is rebuffed on Capitol Hill as lawmakers spar over next virus aid bill 

President Trump’s latest red line for the next phase of coronavirus legislation — a payroll tax cut for workers — has few fans in Congress even among Republicans, further complicating the path toward a new rescue package as House Democrats…

Democrat Warren reassessing path forward after disappointing ‘Super Tuesday,’ campaign aide says

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren is “talking to her team to assess the path forward,” a campaign aide said on Wednesday, after the U.S. senator from Massachusetts saw disappointing results across the board on Tuesday. Warren…