Shapovalov served twice for the match, but eventually lost out to Spain’s world No. 101 Roberto Carballes Baena 7-5, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 8-6 after a five-hour epic.

And, after his singles involvement in the oft-criticized tournament came to an end on Thursday, Shapovalov took aim at the tournament’s administrators for failing to produce an environment and a tournament that gave the players the chance to compete at their best.

“Scheduling is absolutely awful,” said Shapovalov after his second-round exit.

“After a five-hour match, I have to play doubles now. It’s just like, it’s just complete trash scheduling. It’s disappointing.

“I mean, you’re in a Grand Slam and I don’t want to sound spoiled, but you expect at least some help from the tournament to help you compete.

“How am I supposed to come out and play doubles now after a five-hour match? It’s a first-round as well, they could have scheduled it way better.”

Shapovalov arrived at Roland Garros in solid form and had been earmarked as a potential dark horse for the tournament after breaking into the Top 10.

But he struggled to deal with the slow-playing court and the heavy tennis balls used at the tournament that have attracted criticism from a number of players.

“These conditions were completely stacked against me,” Shapovalov, who reached his first Grand Slam quarter-final at the recent US Open, said.

“It’s impossible to hit a winner with these balls. In my opinion, it shouldn’t be that heavy and that difficult.”

Shapovalov signed off by criticizing the bio-secure bubble which is meant to help prevent any COVID-19 infections.

“Honestly I think they’re not doing a good job. There’s really no bubble, especially in the second hotel, I heard,” he said.

“You can leave the hotel, you can go to the city, there’s no problem, there’s nobody stopping you.

“New York was done way better.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Barcelona manager Setien apologises over assistant’s behaviour

Barcelona coach Quique Setien has revealed he has apologised to the players and everyone at the club for the exuberant behaviour of his assistant coach Eder Sarabia on the touchline during last week’s 2-0 defeat by Real Madrid. Sarabia was…

Five things we learned as Trezeguet sends Villa out of bottom three

Aston Villa produced a fantastic display to beat Arsenal 1-0 in the Premier League on Tuesday night. Villa knew a win would take them out of the bottom three after Watford were hammered earlier in the evening and obliged with…

Happy now, Jurgen? Liverpool set to snap up £41 million Diogo Jota after Klopp whined about Chelsea summer spree

According to reports, Jota is set to sign a five-year deal at Anfield pending a medical, while 18-year-old Reds defender Ki-Jana Hoever is likely to head the other way in a deal that could be worth up to £13.5 million.…

Face reconstruction: Cycling ace Fabio Jakobsen to undergo extensive FACIAL SURGERY as he recovers from horror crash

Jakobsen was placed in a medically-induced coma after his crash on the first stage of the race following a collision with Dylan Groenewegen as they sprinted for the finish line at the event. The 24-year-old, who was pitched into barriers…